Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:06 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Sigma 17-70 now with OS (not just canon)

This is what i have been waiting for in a walkaround/travel lens. Sigma has finally put OS in their 17-70. Think this will be a great general purpose lens combining a relatively fast 2.8-4 max aperture with good 1:2.7 macro capabilities and now OS together. This makes it quite versatile. Finally I may pull the trigger on a walkaround lens.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/12/s...8-4-dc-os-hsm/
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:30 PM   #2

That's cool. I've been using the Sigma 17-70 for several years. It is a very sharp lens. IMO it's close in IQ to the Canon 24-105L lens.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:22 PM   #3

I have many friends whose XSi's kit lenses (18-55) have either come apart, or its AF stopped working (after 10,000+ shots). I know mine will come to that too, one day...
I was planning to upgrade my walkaround lens for some time now, but since I got a Canon 10-22mm last month (and I'm thrilled by its great IQ), I'll wait a while for this one.
RConsonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 2:44 PM   #4

I've been waiting for a stabilized, large aperture, standard zoom lens. The OEM lenses are outrageously expensive. While the initial reports look good, I've been waiting for objective test results on Tamron's 17-50/2.8 VC, and failing that, Sigma's 18-50/2.8-4.5 OS. Sigma's announcement of the 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM is certainly welcome, but I'll still wait for the objective test results.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:28 PM   #5
Super Moderator

TCAV those are the exact 3 lenses that I have been watching as well. The 17-50 VC is looking pretty good from early reports optically, but am reading about some focus issues on their first runs (nikon). The sigma 18-50 2.8-4.5 OS I cannot find very much objective information on at all. I have talked with a couple users on Flickr that had it for a short amount of time, and they weren't pleased with it wide-open, both ended up returning it. One purchased the 18-50 2.8 and the other the 17-70 (non-is) and are more pleased. But with an N=2, thats not much to go on.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:09 PM   #6

I really miss my Tamron 17-50/2.8 since I switched from my KM5D to a Nikon D90. I have high hopes for their VC version, but am not willing to commit to anything based on hearsay, regardless of how many times it's repeated. I was hoping that, if the Tamron didn't pan out, that the Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 could fill in. After all, at half the price, I could be happy, but I still want to see the data. With Sigma announcing the 17-70/2.8-4.0, I'm more hopeful that, somewhere out there is a lens I could be happy with that won't require me to take out a second mortgage.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:23 PM   #7
Super Moderator

exactly. ideally i would have the Canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM. but that just isn't happening.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:37 AM   #8
Super Moderator

The non-IS version of the 17-70 is super sharp according to slrgear.com, if they can keep it up for the IS version it'll be a very interesting lens indeed.

Although I think the lens to beat is now the Canon 15-85 IS.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Although I think the lens to beat is now the Canon 15-85 IS.
That is a very nice lens (aside from the vignetting), and while it's both wider and longer than the kit lens, I'd still want something faster. That's where OEM lenses start getting outrageously expensive, and that's why some of us are hopeful that third party lenses can perform well.

As an example, Canon's 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS sells for $170, while their 17-55/2.8 IS USM sells for ~$1,000. While they're both very nice lenses, I'd really like to have something somewhere between those two extremes.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 3:50 AM   #10

I am also very interested in this lens my self. I mean aside from the fact that it is a variable aperture lens (even then F4.0 isn't bad as long as its usable at that range) it pretty much has everything, FL is nice and wide and long, HSM = quiet and fast AF, and the OS is icing on the cake IMO = shaky hands no more!

As long as this lens is sharp when its stopped down to its max at F2.8 and F4.0 and the edges arent blurry.... I think Sigma has a real winner and a Canon 15-85 "killer".

Only problem is I dont want to be the guinea pig and test it just to find out its a dud, lol, like the new Tamron 17-50 VC has turned out to be so far.

In theory so far, this lens IMO is probably the most versatile "walk-around" for a crop body. In an ideal world this lens would be a constant F2.8 I can dream cant I? LOL.

After selling all my old camera gear I am gear-less and just bought a Canon 7D which should arrive at this months end with no lens <<<< due to my indecisiveness! I would jump on this lens if there were some real world reviews out there on it! If I get too antsy and cant wait... then Tamron 17-50 F2.8 it is I guess.... the damn Canon is just way too much $$$ for what it is... although it is the best in its range.

Last edited by JayStar86; Dec 22, 2009 at 3:54 AM.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote