Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Applications of Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens

I have a T1i with 18-55mm kit lens. I have an opportunity to get a used Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS lens from a friend. I would like to know what kind of photography is the lens best suited for which I can't achieve well with the kit lens. I'm new to the SLR world.
bickerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:29 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well first off the 55-250 IS lens from Canon is a wonderful lens for the price. one of the better values around.

in short, it does anything that the kit lens is too short for. so anytime you wish you could zoom in further. it's best application is for general telephoto work. on a crop body, can be pretty good at the zoo. good for shooting kids in the yard playing when you need to get closer. or anytime you need to fill the frame with a subject you can't get close to.

it also does pretty well for close-ups for a non-macro lens. offers pretty decent 1:3 macro mode, which would work for larger close-up work like flowers, etc.

it can do some slower moving sports in daylight in a pinch. but is not good for low-light sports or anytime the action is moving fast since it has a relatively slow aperture and does not have a high speed motor.

Last edited by Hards80; Dec 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:32 PM   #3

In general, the 55-250 gives you "more reach" so you can take a photo of a subject a little further away. So, let's say you want to take a photo of your dog or your child - full body. For the kit lens you'd have to be about 10 feet away or closer. The 55-250 would allow you to take a shot, filling the frame from maybe 75 feet away.

One other thing that lens will allow you to do - is take a photo with shallower depth-of-field. Let's say you want to take a head shot of your child. With the kit lens, the background behind your child will be in relative focus. If you move away from your child and use 250mm (instead of 55mm) and take that head shot, the background behind your subject will be more blurred.

Optically and performance wise these lenses are very similar. So you can expect the same level of quality out of the 55-250mm lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:13 AM   #4

The lens is also good for portraits as it is a bit on the soft side.

It will preform best in well lighted shoots, like outdoors.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:18 AM   #5

I'm going to buy the 55-250 IS too next year - so thank you for the informations about the lens!

The lens is going to be used especially for zoo pictures, portraits, people shots and of course macros/close-ups. Another thing I'm trying to do is to capture birds eating at our aviary (?) in the garden - the 250 mm are perfect for this

Last edited by maggo85; Dec 12, 2009 at 3:20 AM.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
I'm trying to do is to capture birds eating at our aviary (?) in the garden - the 250 mm are perfect for this
The 50-250 will not produce the expected results when shooting birds. For small objects at the far end of the zoom range it is way too soft.

For birds you need one of the L lenses.

The 50-250 is great for the big aluminium birds on a sunny day
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:10 PM   #7

You do not need to go all the way to the L, the ef 70-300mm will be better suite at half the price of the L lens.

I have both the ef-s 55-250mm and ef 70-300mm. The ef better for shoot longer distances. But I do use the ef-s for traveling and bumming around as it way lighter then then the EF lens so it is a easier carrying lens. If you are shooting more action shots, the EF lens will put you into the action better. For longer distance shots non action shots where you can not get in close, the ef-s does a pretty good job. There is a big price point difference also new 550 for the ef and 250 for the ef-s. And if you are getting a good deal from your friend, it is worth it if you do not have a telephoto yet.

My suggestion is if you get the ef-s lens to get a hood for it, a new one from a no name from ebay will be like 5 dollars with shipping. That will help out the shot allot.

Maggo85, the ef 70-300 is a pretty good lens for shooting birds better then the ef-s 55-250mm, if you do not want to spend a 1000 bucks on the L lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
My suggestion is if you get the ef-s lens to get a hood for it, a new one from and no name from ebay will be lit 5 dollars with shipping. That will help out the shot allot.

Maggo85, the ef 70-300 is a pretty good lens for shooting birds better then the ef-s 55-250mm, if you do not want to spend a 1000 bucks on the L lens.
The hood is a must-have - but maybe I'm going to think about the 70-300... unfortunately the L lenses costs WAY to much...
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:36 PM   #9

Ebay has the hood for the ef lens also 6 buck with shipping form hong kong, will get to you in 10 days. Or 50 bucks for the canon hood. Smiles
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Super Moderator

I disagree with Ilan, the problem with the lens is not sharpness, its just a little bit short for birds. but if you can get close enough, then it would be fine. It is possible Ilan has a slightly out of spec copy, or isn't sharp on his particular body.

the 70-300 is better for birds of course, it gives you more range, faster focus, and it is a very sharp lens.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote