Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:24 PM   #1

Default Canon XSI with Rokinon Lens

Question for anyone who may know...

I have Canon XSI with a Manual Focus Rokinon 80-200mm lense on it..

When I take far out shots, it doesn't seem to want to focus the best.. Any tips?

I have an adapter allowing it to work on my camera, could the spacing be incorrect?

This is what I have...
http://whitemetal.com/pentax/rokinon...0~200_info.htm

Any help is appreciated... I'm a noob.
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:27 PM   #2

Also, what is the dial for?
L]
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:31 PM   #3
Super Moderator

when using older FD lenses on EOS bodies you need an adapter that has optics that multiply it a bit to allow focus at infinity. i am guessing your adapter does not have these optics.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Here's an article on using Manual Focus lenses on a Canon EOS system body. I'm assuming that's a Canon FD mount lens.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html

You'll probably need an adapter (look for FD to EOS; or FD to EF adapters) with optics in order to focus to infinity with that lens, as Hards80 pointed out. You'll usually see them with around 1.2x magnification (the adapter acts as a teleconverter))

These are relatively common (but, quality varies, and you can usually expect a bit of image degradation with one).

You may also want to consider an adapter with Autofocus confirmation built in (basically, these have electronics that fool the camera into thinking you're using an Autofocus lens, so that the AF confirmation in the view finder will light when your manual focus is correct while you're half pressing the shutter button).

What dial are you referring to? You'll need to set the Aperture (your f/stop setting) using the Aperture Ring on the lens (the camera won't be able to control it via an adapter).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Here's an article on using Manual Focus lenses on a Canon EOS system body. I'm assuming that's a Canon FD mount lens.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...focus_EOS.html

You'll probably need an adapter (look for FD to EOS; or FD to EF adapters) with optics in order to focus to infinity with that lens, as Hards80 pointed out. You'll usually see them with around 1.2x magnification (the adapter acts as a teleconverter))

These are relatively common (but, quality varies, and you can usually expect a bit of image degradation with one).

You may also want to consider an adapter with Autofocus confirmation built in (basically, these have electronics that fool the camera into thinking you're using an Autofocus lens, so that the AF confirmation in the view finder will light when your manual focus is correct while you're half pressing the shutter button).

What dial are you referring to? You'll need to set the Aperture (your f/stop setting) using the Aperture Ring on the lens (the camera won't be able to control it via an adapter).

Okay, going to read the above article.. Now I have the adapter, but it's just a standard one, no optics.. Any where you can find me one? And yes it is FD to EOS. I spent $13 on this adapter and am not fully satisfied...

And yes, I think I'm talking about the Aperture.. In this picture it is the one all the way to the left
L]
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Here's an example of an adapter with AF confirmation. Shipping to the U.S. runs $5 to my address. You can expect it to take around 10 days to reach you using the cheapest shipping.

https://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produ...roductid=16802

Gadget Infinity is a reputable Hong Kong based vendor. They also sell on Ebay. I'd send them a note asking if it allows focus to infinity, just to make sure (since the listing doesn't specifically say that it does). But, I see optics in the photos of it (and they also appear to be coated, which is a very good sign). So, I suspect it will work just fine.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:15 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoey Dubsx View Post
And yes, I think I'm talking about the Aperture.
You have to use that ring to set the desired Aperture (your f/stop setting). You can't leave it on Auto.

Set it to a wider aperture setting (lower f/stop number) for faster shutter speeds using a given ISO speed. Using a lower f/stop number will also give you a shallower depth of field (how much of the image appears to be in focus as you get further away from your focus point). So, if you want more depth of field, use a higher f/stop number (which will slow down your shutter speeds for a given lighting level and ISO speed, so adjust as needed). Most lenses will be sharpest at around 2 stops down from wide open. I'd try it at f/4.5, f/5.6 and f/8 and see how much difference you see.

The camera won't know the aperture your lens is set to. But, the meter can still work and tell you the shutter speed needed for correct exposure if you use Manual Exposure Mode, and should also be able to select the correct Shutter Speed automatically using Aperture Priority Mode. But, you're going to need to set the aperture using the aperture ring on the lens.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:16 PM   #8

Nothing cheaper? For what it's worth, I'd rather just buy a new lens for that price. Are there any cheap ones?
L]
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:22 PM   #9
Administrator

Sure. But, quality is going to vary.

I'd probably try this one to make sure you can focus to infinity with more lenses (acts as a 1.3x TC). I don't know how good the optical quality is (but, Adorama is a reputable vendor).

http://www.adorama.com/CZFDEOS.html?...fd+eos+adapter

It does not give you AF confirmation (which you may or may not care about).
Old Dec 12, 2009, 2:26 PM   #10
Administrator

P.S.

Note that you'll lose roughly 1 stop of light with that TC.

Yes, you would probably be better off just buying newer Autofocus lenses, compared to older Manual Focus lenses using an adapter (and most newer lenses with have better coatings for less flare related issues, without the problems you'll have with degradation and loss of light due to optics needed to allow focus to infinity using an adapter).