Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:56 PM   #11

I agree with the "don't buy lenses for a camera you might own" statement. Many people thought that EF-S was a temporary phase but with the 7D, I think EF-S is definitely here to stay. So while I was keeping my options open with an EF lens, its not like I think that EF-S will fizzle out.

Hmm...I was thinking of getting a 50mm 1.8, as its so cheap and I wanted to experiment with some low light photography with it. I will look into the 28mm, but I don't think it will be as cheap as the 50.

The problem is that, I have all this money burning a hole in my pocket which I was looking forward to spend on an awesome lens and suddenly, I find I can't spend it anymore! hehe, am joking.

Anyway, so the thought process now is..do I save up for the Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8? It costs a bomb and I just am not very comfortable with spending so much on a lens I can't use on the whole Canon lineup.

So, for now, I am sticking with the kit, probably will pick up the 50mm 1.8 or 28mm 1.8 and experiment with that.
And looking more into the perfect walkaround lens..as well as a good UWA, the 10-22mm keeps tempting me but I keep putting it off as a 3rd or 4th lens purchase.
vseera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:20 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Whey buying a lens it is worth asking what do I want to be able to do that I can't now. Is it you can't get photos as light it too low, do you need wider angle, do you find you don't have enough reach, can't you focus close enough for macro etc etc?

If you like shooting people then a good external flash will make a world of difference.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:03 AM   #13

Hehe, Mark, I've been lurking this forum and have seen that piece of advice given out a lot of times.
And I do think that is an excellent piece of advice!

As I mentioned, I mostly like wide focal range. I am very happy with the 18-55mm length and reach, the only reason I was looking at the 17-40mm was that it promised the L build quality and image quality. But looking into that, there is wide opinion that it has the same quality as the kit lens and wide opinion that it absolutely trumps the kit lens and eats it for breakfast.

So now I am very unsure about it, specially given the price. I have seen some absolutely excellent, breathtaking photos taken with it.

I do think the 10-22mm is somewhere in my future. My telephoto needs are mostly taken care of by my cheap and trusty 55-250mm, as its not a range I shoot at often.

I have seen the Canon EF-S 17-55mm recommended blindly at many forums. It's a lens which tempts me a lot but I know I would not appreciate it as my walkaround as it is a heavy and bulky lens to carry around. And I don't expect to be in perpertual low light

In fact, my shooting needs do not figure low light in them at all. It's just something I find fascinating to shoot in, that's why I want to pick up the cheap 50mm 1.8 to experiment with.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:17 PM   #14

Sorry to bring this discussion up, but I wanted to find out what you guys think about the 15-85mm lens for me and my needs? I have just discovered this lens (knew about it, never considered it) and I've heard raving reviews about its sharpness (sharper than 17-55mm!!) and build quality (best built EF-S lens!).

It is supposed to trump both the 17-40mm and 17-55mm.

The only problem I see with it is the slow aperture, but I think at 17-40mm focal lengths, it should have similar aperture to the 17-40 L.

Does anyone know if the colours and contrast match up to those of the 17-40mm L?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:13 PM   #15
Super Moderator

You can see comparative reviews here showing resolution etc.

15-85 http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/46...3556is?start=1

18-55 http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/40...is_50d?start=1

For a crop camera I would buy it over the 17-40.... then again I would get the 18-55 you already have over the 17-40. The 15-85 is a better lens than what you have giving both wider and longer so you won't need to do as much lens changing, however it isn't gaining you much in relation to low light and the extra creativity a f2.8 lens gives.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:34 AM   #16

Just my $0.05 worth : you won't be able to get many shots without a camera shake at 1/15 sec unless you shoot at about 17mm with any lens without IS. 17-40 is a great UW lens on a full frame or a 35mm film camera, but it doesn't feel right on a crop camera - it's neither wide, no long enough for a walk around lens and f/4 is not fast enough for low light/indoors shooting. IQ and buld quality are great though, but the images were a bit soft on a copy I used and needed extra sharpening. If you like to shoot in available low(ish) light you will need a fast prime lens. 50mm f/1.8 is very cheap, but in low light the AF hunts like crazy and sometimes misses the focus point completely, it's not all that sharp wide open and you usually need to stop it down to f/2.2-2.5 for really sharp images and it has a really ugly bokeh In a long run you will be better off spending your money on a better lens.
15-85 seems to be a really nice lens and it has a ring motor USM and IS. It's not fast aperture wise, but fast autofocus and IS can help. Don't have one, but my most used walk-around is a 17-85, which I like better than my Tamron 17-50.
Still the best advice you got so far is from Mark - to keep your 18-55 IS kit lens and to compement it with an external flash for indoor/low light shooting. 430ex (Mk I or II) will open up a lot of possibilities for you. Get a fast "normal" prime in 28-35mm range with it and you will be even happier
cheers,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote