Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenWHowell76 View Post

Are these the same? One mentions a hood!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

http://www.adorama.com/TM70300DEOS.html

I have amazon prime so I can get it w/free shipping and no tax!!!
Yes they are.

And as JohnG pointed out, this lens will not be appropriate for the cheerleading. But neither will a lens appropriate for cheerleading be appropriate for softball. There's no 'one-size-fits-all' lens, which, btw, is why you got a dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:04 PM   #12

The canon EF-s 55-250mm IS will allow you to stablized the imagine while shoot your outdoor softball. The IS along is worth the 250 dollar price, it may save some action shots that may suffer form to hand shake.

To shoot indoor cheer with reach. You may need at least a canon ef 70-300mm USM IS, that is about 550 dollar. It will not have any issue shooting softball, but you may still need a flash also to shoot your indoor cheer.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:09 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The canon EF-s 55-250mm IS will allow you to stablized the imagine while shoot your outdoor softball. The IS along is worth the 250 dollar price, it may save some action shots that may suffer form to hand shake.
Shooting softball like nearly all outdoor sports then the shutter speed it fast enough that you wouldn't be using IS. If you are in such low light that IS would be come helpful it would mean you are at such a low shutter speed that you wouldn't capture the action.

You will be better with more reach than IS. However if it can be afforded then the Canon 70-300mm IS USM lens is sharper. As mentioned unless you can use a good external flash then only a fast lens like the 85mm f1.8 will be of any use assuming you can get close enough.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Sports/action/wildlife photography requires the use of fast shutter speeds to freeze motion. Shutter speeds fast enough to do that will also be fast enough to prevent motion blur due to camera shake.

IS is not necessary, or even desireable for sports/action/wildlife photography.

Quote:
To shoot indoor cheer with reach. You may need at least a canon ef 70-300mm USM IS, that is about 550 dollar. It will not have any issue shooting softball, but you may still need a flash also to shoot your indoor cheer.
That lens is at least 2 full stops dimmer, and often more than three stops dimmer than the lenses JohnG mentioned. The OP would absolutely need to use flash with that lens, which may very well be prohibited by the venue. Large apertures also permit shallow depths of field which would also enhance the images the OP wants to capture.

Since the OP initially asked about the two least expensive telephoto zoom lenses, I don't think she has money to burn.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:23 PM   #15

As Mark said, IS isn't of much benefit with softball and a 250mm lens. You shouldn't be using shutter speeds slow enough to benefit from it. Useful for other things but won't help your softball. If you're shooting at shutter speeds that slow then you're doing some things wrong.

Indoor cheer the lens will NOT be able to get you shots without flash. Neither will the 70-300. So, investing in the 70-300 doesn't buy you a whole lot. Unfortunately, like the 55-250, the lens uses micro USM focus motor so it isn't any faster to focus than the 55-250. It's a little more reach and a little sharper but useless without flash for the cheer.

So, to figure out the best spend of your money, we still need to know a couple things about the cheer - first, can you use flash? Second, how close can you get to her when she's cheering?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:27 PM   #16

Mark,

I agree about the not needing IS if you are playing on a sunny day, but I have been to games that run till dusk or on overcast day, and then the light is iffy. And IS does help out with a slightly longer shutter speed, non of these lenses are exceptionally fast. Including the ef 70-300mm usm IS, but it is faster then the rest mention.

But out of the 4 budget zooms, ef 75-300, ef-s 55-250, and the 2 tamron. The ef-s is the best of the 4 IMHO because of it's sharpness and lightness which will help reduce shake.

He may also want to check out the ef 100mm usm f2.0, it gives a bit more reach then the ef 85mm usm f1.8. I found the 85mm is a bit short on shooting sometime, and was considering the 100mm myself. 15 mm is a decent trade of for the extra f stop. But again, it is about 420 bucks.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:44 PM   #17

Guys the answer to his indoor/outdoor sport question is the canon EF 70-300mm DO IS USM or the EF 70-200f2.8 L, both are 1200+ dollars lenses. But I do not recommend those lenses to for someone brand new to slr shooting. And I do not think he is looking for 1200 dollar recommendations.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Guys the answer to his indoor/outdoor sport question is the canon EF 70-300mm DO IS USM or the EF 70-200f2.8 L, both are 1200+ dollars lenses. But I do not recommend those lenses to for someone brand new to slr shooting. And I do not think he is looking for 1200 dollar recommendations.
I'm going to be blunt - this is bad advice. An f5.6 lens is not going to be fast enough for cheer. The DO is sharp and fast to focus (with ring USM) but useless without flash for the cheer. And, at f5.6 it's still no use when lighting gets bad outdoors.

Mark, TCav and I all shoot low light action. All of us have given you some solid advice. I would be cautious about taking sporting advice from people who don't shoot sports. The "right" equipment isn't always the most expensive - that lens would be a terrible spend of your money.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:12 PM   #19

To be blunt, none of the lenses under 1000 bucks will serve his purpose, and that is the bottom line. Given his choices, between the 2 canon, and 2 tamron that have been mention under 250 dollar, the 55-250 IS will serve well but not perfect and give some extra ability with the IS.

Actually the DO IS is not 5.6 it is 4.5-5.6 ring mount
the efs 55-250 f4-5.6 DC gear
the ef 70-300 f4-5.6 micro usm, not ring mount
only the L lens is best for low light at f2.8.

PS
The canon ef-s 55-250 is not a usm lens, it is not practically fast either. It is DC gear driven. Here is the specs from the canon site. I have the lens.

Specifications

Lens
Focal Length & Maximum Aperture
55-250mm f/4-5.6
Lens Construction
12 elements in 10 groups, including one UD-glass element
Diagonal Angle of View
27 50'- 6 15' (with APS-C image sensors)
Focus Adjustment
DC motor, gear-driven (front focusing design)
Closest Focusing Distance
3.6 ft./1.1m (maximum close-up magnification 0.31x)
Filter Size
58mm
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight
2.8 in. x 4.3 in./70 x 108mm (maximum lens length); 13.8 oz./390g
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:22 PM   #20
Super Moderator

With the XS there pretty much isn't a single lens option. Even f2.8 might not be bright enough with only ISO1600.

A 2 lens option is the best and that would be one of the Canon/Tamron 70-300mm lenses, the 55-250 would be the next choice but the extra reach can be really helpful. For the indoors then the 85mm f1.8 or 100mm f2 would be the best chances or if it is possible to get very close then the 50mm f1.8 can be utilised. Again if flash can be used then an external flash could be used with the zoom options.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote