Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:28 PM   #21

Mark,

Very good point.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
To be blunt, none of the lenses under 1000 bucks will serve his purpose, and that is the bottom line.
Shoturtle, actually there are solutions under $1000. If you had actual hands on sports shooting experience you'd know that. As Mark pointed out, the ISO 1600 camera limits the use of an f2.8 lens.

IF the OP can use flash, than either the 70-300 USM or 55-250 will be fine for 7 year old softball. The 430exII takes care of the cheer.

If the OP cannot use flash but can get within 30 feet the 100mm 2.0 lens or 25 feet the 85mm 1.8 can take care of the job.

So, the solution can be had for under $1000. Perhaps though you could share with the OP what solution YOU use for softball and cheer/basketball. I assume you actually shoot these events so you draw on personal experience. I'd be glad to share with the OP my sports shots, as I'm sure Mark would be. I'm sure as an experienced sports photog you, like Mark and I, have 1000s of relevant sports images to share.

To the OP, be very careful - sports shooting is difficult. Lots of people on the web have opinons, not all of them are based on actual experience. That advice can lead to costly mistakes.

And yes, when I provide advice on these sports I base it on my own personal hands on experience:

basketball gym:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:02 PM   #23

If you had read, I said use a flash also.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
OK -basketball cheer at age 7. Doesn't matter that it's not high action - the lenses won't get you fast enough shutter speeds. You have a couple choices. First, can you use flash? If so, then an external flash like the Canon 430exII will do the job.

If you can't use flash, then you need a different type of lens. The canon 50mm 1.8 for $100 or so will work - BUT you need to be within 15 feet of her. The more expensive 85mm 1.8 ($400) is outstanding and will extend your reach to 25 feet but not any more. You have to be close for these types of lenses to work well. The 55-250 is still a good budget lens for the softball.
I can use flash. Hmmm, so what kind of price are we talking for flash?
KarenWHowell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 5:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenWHowell76 View Post
Adorama has the Canon Speedlite 430EX II for $250 after rebate.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Adorama has the Canon Speedlite 430EX II for $250 after rebate.
That's a nice price. If all you have is the kit lens you still want to be within about 15 feet. So, you'd need the 430 flash AND the longer lens to shoot from farther away. But you'll need the longer lens for softball anyway. Armed with both flash and longer lens you'll be able to get good shots from 50' way.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:07 PM   #27

Also, btw, if you'll be using a flash, you don't need to worry about stabilization since the flash will freeze the action.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Are you going to use this lens and flash only for sports only or for other purposes also?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Are you going to use this lens and flash only for sports only or for other purposes also?
I was hoping to use it for other purposes also! I assume that the flash will be good for parties and indoor pics???
KarenWHowell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:17 AM   #30

Quote:
I was hoping to use it for other purposes also! I assume that the flash will be good for parties and indoor pics???
Absolutely. For these types of party pics you can often tilt the flash head and bounce the light - results in zero red eye, less shadows and more diffuse light than using the built in flash. The external flash will also recharge faster and work at a longer range than the built in flash will. For example, here's a snapshot of my son Christmas morning using a bounced flash (different model than the 430ex but same principle). No red eye - no harsh flash burst on his face, no shadow behind him, etc...