Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1

Default Which Lens?

I received a Canon EOS Xs for Christmas. I was looking for an additional lens for distance. This is my first SLR camera. I've read that both are ok for what you pay, but unsure if there's a big difference in the Canon vs. Tamron. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

or

Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
KarenWHowell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:51 AM   #2

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better than both of them, and it only costs $5 more than the Canon.

Another good choice is the Tamron 55-200 Di-II LD, which is smaller and lighter, and has a $40 rebate until Dec. 31st.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:09 AM   #3

the canon 75-300mm is not that good of a lens.

I would look at the canon ef-s 55-25mm 4-5.6 IS lens. It is a pretty sharp lens, and it has imagine stabilization but no marco. When maxing out the zoom, the IS feature does come in handy. It is a pretty light lens, easy to travel with. Granted it is a bit more money then any of the lenses mention.

But the two tamron that TCav mention will also give you marco shooting ability, granted not at 1:1. If that is something you shoot.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:42 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Knowing what you want to shoot will help however I wouldn't touch the Canon 75-300 at all. The Tamron TCav mentions is the first acceptable budget tele zoom lens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:07 AM   #5

Softball and cheering!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:23 AM   #6
Super Moderator

You are probably better off with the slightly longer Tamron 70-300 than the Canon 55-250 although the Canon is a little sharper.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
You are probably better off with the slightly longer Tamron 70-300 than the Canon 55-250 although the Canon is a little sharper.

Are these the same? One mentions a hood!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

http://www.adorama.com/TM70300DEOS.html

I have amazon prime so I can get it w/free shipping and no tax!!!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenWHowell76 View Post
Softball and cheering!
Is the cheerleading indoors? If it is, then none of the lenses under consideration will work. If you could specify the cheer conditions that will help determine what gear is appropriate (for example if she were a varsity football cheerleader then an external flash is going to be necessary). So, is it competition cheer indoors? Basketball? Football?

You should also be aware of some additional limitations of lenses under discusion for softball. Namely, the Tamron lenses are slow to focus. The Canon 55-250 will be slightly faster (as it has micro USM focus motor). To get a fast focusing lens requires you to step all the way up to the canon 70-200 f4 ($600). Of the budget lenses, the 55-250 is probably the best bet for outdoor daylight sport use. None of the lenses being discussed will work for night or indoor use without external flash however.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Is the cheerleading indoors? If it is, then none of the lenses under consideration will work. If you could specify the cheer conditions that will help determine what gear is appropriate (for example if she were a varsity football cheerleader then an external flash is going to be necessary). So, is it competition cheer indoors? Basketball? Football?

You should also be aware of some additional limitations of lenses under discusion for softball. Namely, the Tamron lenses are slow to focus. The Canon 55-250 will be slightly faster (as it has micro USM focus motor). To get a fast focusing lens requires you to step all the way up to the canon 70-200 f4 ($600). Of the budget lenses, the 55-250 is probably the best bet for outdoor daylight sport use. None of the lenses being discussed will work for night or indoor use without external flash however.
It is indoor basketball cheering. She is 7 so it's not high action! I just received the camera and my birthday is next week! I was looking for something under $200. However, if I should just wait to get a better one...I do no know! This is my first slr. I'm flying blind! I appreciate all the HELP!!!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:23 AM   #10

OK -basketball cheer at age 7. Doesn't matter that it's not high action - the lenses won't get you fast enough shutter speeds. You have a couple choices. First, can you use flash? If so, then an external flash like the Canon 430exII will do the job.

If you can't use flash, then you need a different type of lens. The canon 50mm 1.8 for $100 or so will work - BUT you need to be within 15 feet of her. The more expensive 85mm 1.8 ($400) is outstanding and will extend your reach to 25 feet but not any more. You have to be close for these types of lenses to work well. The 55-250 is still a good budget lens for the softball.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote