Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:15 AM   #1

Default Sigma VS Tamron VS Canon

Hi there,

I am not a professional photographer.. but am developing my skills and I am looking forward to have very nice photographs.
So, I want to upgrade my 18-55mm kit lens. Since I dont want to keep on changing the lenses..I am ok to sacrifice some quality

In that regards, I have narrowed down to c
Canon 55-250mm
Sigma 28-300 DG IF Macro Aspherical
Tamon 18-270 Di II VC LD

I would go with Canon but I would miss the wide angle.. so which is the better lens amongst the two (sigma or the tamron)??

regards,
phani_astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:33 AM   #2

First of all, you are comparing apples and oranges

Do you like to replace your 18-55 lens with a megazoom lens (somethin like the tamron you mentioned) or do you want to keep the kit lens and add a telephoto lens like the 55-250?

Canon has a 18-200 lens with IS - but when it comes to megazooms, it seems like the sigma 18-250 OS has the best reviews!

Maybe a more experienced photographer like many on these forums can help you

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realise you want a megazoom - in this case you really should take a look at Sigma lens I've mentioned!

Last edited by maggo85; Dec 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM. Reason: Forgot something
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:42 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Which 18-55 lens do you have, is it the original or the more recent IS lens?

What sort of shooting do you want to do? You say you want very nice photos then say you don't mind sacrificing quality so it depends which is the most important. A 2 lens solution is nearly always better than a single but this will depend how good your 18-55 is.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:44 AM   #4

Of the three that you mentioned, the Canon 55-250 is the best.

But the thing I think you should remember is that there is no good 'one-lens-fits-all' choice. Lenses with long zoom ranges have significant distortion at the wide end, significant chromatic aberration at the long end, and aren't very sharp anywhere in their range. Multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges will provide better image quality, and at a lower cost. Getting a superzoom lens is a compromise of convenience over image quality. The inconvenience of changing lenses is fleeting, but a quality image may outlast you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:51 AM   #5

If you are looking to have a all in one solution, out to the 3 your posted. The tamron 18-270 is a good choice. Unlike the sigma on you list it has the VC which is helpful. The 55-250 will leave you to far on the close side. It has receive very good reviews in the German photo mags.

The OS lens from sigma maggo mention, is another good choice for a all in one lens. The two are around the same price.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 29, 2009 at 6:53 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:54 AM   #6

Neither the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (Tested) nor the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested) are as good as the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF (Tested) plus the kit 18-55 lens you already have.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:09 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phani_astronomy View Post
So, I want to upgrade my 18-55mm kit lens. Since I dont want to keep on changing the lenses..I am ok to sacrifice some quality
I you want to go with a single lens solution, between the choices you mentioned, I'd lean towards the Tamron 18-270mm. The other lenses would be too restrictive on the wide angle end (you may not be able to back up far enough to fit what you want to shoot in the frame).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:50 AM   #8
Super Moderator

My personal view on this is that lenses with a very large zoom range on SLR cameras are silly. The lenses are usually so difficult to design that you will be getting poor quality and a very heavy lens. If you are happy with the reduced quality then why not simply get yourself a superzoom P&S? An SLR with a crummy lens does no better and often a lot worse, so just save yourself the weight and the hassle and the expense.

One of the great strengths of an SLR camera is that you can choose the best lens for the task. The downside is that, unless you have a restricted set of interests, you may need to own and carry more than one lens. But that is just the price you pay for improved image quality.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:04 AM   #9

Hello all (maggo85, Mark1616, TCav, shoturtle, JimC, peripatetic) - Thank You!

My kit lens is 18-55mm (non IS)

From all your messages I learn that:
-> Decide upon my interest (nature/portrait/macro etc)
-> Then decide a lens which suits
-> One fine day I will again start to think of another good quality lens as the super zoom lens might not give me good results.

Since you gave me good suggestion, please suggest me how should I evaluate my core interest... cause I seem to poke my nose in almost everything

I have some pics in my flickr.. please visit my flick page... I will also upload some of my best pics tonight (so that you may get an idea about my knowledge and my work with present set (400D + kit lens) & how good I am with my present lens) = so that you can better suggest me...

PS. I am also an amateur astronomer, so sometimes zoom gets the priority ....

Once again thank you all!
phani_astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:11 AM   #10

Well with the astronomy interest, a good tripod will help out allot for long exposure times. Do you like to focus on a single constellation or just the sky in general?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote