Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:10 PM   #11

Since we are talking about canon lens here...here is a review of the T1i and the kit lens (18-55)...saying how good it is...and yet in the review of the XSi they are is saying it isn't so good suggesting it doesn't allow the XSi to reach its full potential????

If the kit lens doesn't allow the XSi to reach fill potential, how on earth is it a good lens for the T1i???

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...anon+rebel+t1i

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...rebel+xsi+450d

I accept it was 2 different reviewers which is a factor...but I wish the XSi review would have suggested what he thought was a better lens.....what do you guys think???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:43 PM   #12

I think there can be biases in the review, there are allot of other factors for the reviews opinion. You can tell with some review site example cnet.com. They seem to have a bit of nikon bias, and generally lessen they review on canon product in head to head comparison form personal opinion. It is normal as each person is different and have different likes and dislikes.

But at the end of the day, the 18-55mm is a very good. I have the ef-s18-55 and a ef 28-135mm, the ef-s lens compare quite will with my ef 28-135mm IS USM lens in quality. So at the end of the day, if you like the results you are getting, why worry about the reviews?
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
So at the end of the day, if you like the results you are getting, why worry about the reviews?
LOL...exactly...(but I haven't got the camera yet...)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 2:00 AM   #14
Super Moderator

There is a better place for lens reviews:

http://www.slrgear.com

The 18-55 IS is by far the best value for money lens Canon make. It's sharp, has very good IS, a handy range and is as cheap as chips.

But there are lots of ways to improve it. One easy way is to do it in software using DXOOptics Pro. A super software upgrade to all your lenses.

The point is that you can easily spend more than ten times as much on a lens. Will you get a better lens? Of course. Will you get pictures that an observer will be able to pick out reliably from those taken with the kit lens? Almost certainly not. That doesn't mean it's not worth getting the expensive lens, but it does mean that once you have bought what you can afford you shouldn't obsess about getting a better lens, concentrate instead on becoming a better photographer with the equipment you own. Learn its foibles, learn what it can and cannot do. Figure out how and where you can compensate for what it cannot do.

Your equipment is better than that which was available to half the great names in the history of photography. Don't fall into the trap of obsessing over equipment whilst taking crummy pictures.

Cameras and photography are two distinct hobbies/crafts. Some people are only really into cameras. That's cool, nothing wrong with that. Cameras and lenses are very interesting.

Some people are only really into photography, that's much cooler. Some of the top modern photographers are less technically competent than half the people on the internet forums. But their work hangs in galleries and commands crazy prices at auction.

Some people are into both. If you care about making better images as well as the technical side, then you need to work very hard at that side too. And for that side the equipment is much less important that you might imagine.

Do you like podcasts?

Check out the Lenswork and Camera Position podcasts.

Think about your priorities and decide for yourself where to focus your energy.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept." - Ansel Adams.

Last edited by peripatetic; Dec 30, 2009 at 2:04 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:14 AM   #15

Default Message from Helen, Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenWHowell76 View Post
I'll have to look at their website. On Amazon, I can get the XSI and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS for $619.91 shipped!

Please don't hesitate to email me directly if you need any advice or after-sales support [email protected]

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:53 AM   #16

Posting your e-mail address in a forum is pretty gutsy. Bots troll these kinds of websites looking for addresses they can spam. You might think about removing it, and relying on the Private Message facility of these forums.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote