Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:23 PM   #1

Default Which Canon Lens?

Canon 18-55mm IS Lens & 75-300mm III Lens
or
Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

These are for the XS!!!

You guys helped me decide on the Tamron for my Canon XS. Now I've read the thread about the rebate!! So I'm wondering if I should go back to Best Buy and see about getting the Canon b/c it would almost be "free." Definately cheaper than what I've paid for the xs and Tamron. However, the Tamron I've bought may be a better lens than the Canon that's on "special."

I just want to get the biggest bang for my buck!!!!

Last edited by KarenWHowell76; Dec 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM.
KarenWHowell76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:28 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Canon 75-300 would basically have to be free for me to even want to consider using it. The Tamron would be my choice, and it's a very easy choice which no one should disagree with. Now if you could get to the Canon 70-300mm USM IS this is a very different story.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:43 PM   #3

Mark is completely right, the canon 75-300mm is not a very good lens. Given the two choices of zoom lenses, the tamron is the no brainer decision.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 1:53 PM   #4

Ok, so if I keep my XS then stick w/the Tamron!!!!!!

What if I could get the Xsi and EF-s 55-250 for the same price I am paying for the XS and Tamron??

Is the EF-s 55-250 worth it?? Or should I stick w/the XS and Tamron?

Last edited by KarenWHowell76; Dec 29, 2009 at 2:08 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:18 PM   #5

The improvement will be with the XSI body over the XS body not so much with the 55-250 over the 70-300. Those two lenses are a toss-up - Tamron has a bit more reach but the Canon has IS - which can be helpful for your non sports use. At 250mm on an APS-C camera the general rule is you would need 1/400 shutter speeds to not have camera shake - that's just a guideline - the actual shutter speed varies with each shooter and their ability to hold the gear steady.

If you do decide to return your current gear and go for the XSI and 55-250 I'd recommend looking at Adorama. They have updated their pricing mistake to properly provide users with the rebate.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

If you do decide to return your current gear and go for the XSI and 55-250 I'd recommend looking at Adorama. They have updated their pricing mistake to properly provide users with the rebate.

I'll have to look at their website. On Amazon, I can get the XSI and
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS for $619.91 shipped!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:23 PM   #7

The XSi is the better camera, and the 55-250mm IS is a good lens. But has the same quality as the tamron lens. It will not give you a 15mm gap form the stock 18-55 to 70-300mm. But you give up 50mm of far end zoom if you take things feather away. If you can get them for the same price, the xsi body would be my choice, the different between the to lenses is up for debate which one is better. Both have something the other do not. Marco better reach for the tamron, no gap in zoom form one lens to another and IS for the canon. It is really up to you which you rather have, for me the body is the big difference.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:25 PM   #8

I've had a lot of good luck with Amazon - did most of my Christmas shopping through them! If you're happy with that price and it's in stock it sounds like a no brainer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:39 PM   #9

Amazon doesn't have the extra lens, but will ship it when it comes. Adorama now has it for $614, but doesn't have it in stock. At least If I order it from Amazon I can go ahead and get the camera and the extra lens when it is restocked.

Best Buy talked like they would work w/me but couldn't match either price....so he told me to package it all back up good, and see what they'd do about returning it. He said they're supposed to charge 15% restocking, but maybe they'd work w/me!

So it's everyone's consensus that I should go w/the XSi and return the XS and Tamron lens??? I really do appreciate all of you and your help! As you can tell I am very indecisive and especially since this is all so NEW to me!!!!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:57 PM   #10

Yeah, the XSi is the way to go, and it will grow with you better if you decided to really get deep into dslr photography also.