Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
Exactly the info i was looking for, thanks. Are there any problems using the 'generic' hoods off the web compared to the $30+ ones officially from the lens manufacturers?
Since different manufacturers, and even different lenses, use different methods to attach hoods, the generic lens hoods usually just mount to the lens via the filter threads. If the front element rotates during focusing and/or zooming, a petal hood can rotate into the field of view, causing vignetting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:23 PM   #12

If you buy 3rd party brand at say adorama, amazon or bh, the hood are lens specific. And they mount just like the canon hoods. That is the way the hoods I got off of ebay are mounted.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:18 PM   #13

I just got my camera tonight. Haven't even charged the battery yet. I bought a cheap lens hood on ebay for the 18-55 mm lens. Am I correct in assuming that your not supposed to be able to put the lens cap on with the hood in place? It twists on so when I attach it or take it off it extends the lens. Normal? I know these are dumb questions but this is my first experience with a DSLR. I have so much to learn it kind of overwhelming.
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:46 PM   #14

Congrats on the camera, actually you can have the hood on and put the cap on also. And if you turn the hood around, it make for a simple storage. Here are a couple a pic of how it is suppose to be mounted.
Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:55 PM   #15

I see now. I guess I just thought my fingers were a little to fat but it worked. Where can I get something like you have to keep the cap attached to the lens?
gman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:57 PM   #16

any camera shop, they are about a dollar.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:24 AM   #17

I bought a generic EW-60C from Ebay which is too tight to fit. I had to scrap the inside flange with a razor blade to make it fit. Stay away from the one which has just the marking of "EW-60C". I bought another one which is marked "For Canon EW-60C". This one is perfect.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:19 AM   #18

Did you get it from a seller in china or Hong Kong. All the hoods I got came form hong kong and are marked for canon. I try to avoid sellers from China.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Did you get it from a seller in china or Hong Kong. All the hoods I got came form hong kong and are marked for canon. I try to avoid sellers from China.
isn't Hong Kong in China?
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:27 AM   #20

Hong Kong is a suedo country. It is a very strange classification. It is under the control of China, but has a degree of self government.