Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:41 PM   #1

Default Lens hoods

This may be a very ignorant question from a newbie, but I figure you gotta ask if you wanna know.

I understand the necessity for a lens hood is to block out some of the sun to prevent glare and undesirable lens flare. My question is, are they more necessary for say telephoto lenses like the EF 55-250mm or just as necessary for outdoor shooting with a lens like the 18-55mm kit lens? My first thoughts were that they would probably start obstructing the field of view when you got to wider angles, but wasnt really sure.

Also, is there a difference between the shapes/styles of the hoods, or does that not really matter? I see some are round, almost cone shaped, and others have petal like sides.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:47 PM   #2

a petal hood is for lenses that does not rotate when focusing and zooming.
the conical ones are for lenses that rotate.

The longer distance lenses have longer hoods, while the short are not as pronounce. They are design to not affect the shot.

I uses them on all my lenses, they are really helpful outdoors does not matter if it is a telephoto or prime lens.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
they are really helpful outdoors does not matter if it is a telephoto or prime lens.
I also always use them indoors as well as you can get flair from any light source.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:57 PM   #4

so are specific hoods designed for specific lenses, or do i just get any short petal shaped hood for say a 50mm prime and any longer cone shaped for the 55-250mm?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:06 PM   #5

You can get the canon knock off for each of those lens on ebay. The 50mm needs a very short hood, that you will not need a petal style also since canon did not design this lens to fit a bayonet mount, the hood had an adopter ring that screws into the lens, and you attach the hood to it via a bayonet mount. The 18-55 also use a very short hood, the lens is design to accept a bayonet mount hood. Same with the 55-250mm but with a longer hood.

if you look on ebay, ET 60 will be the one for the 55-250, ES 62 will be for the ef 50mm MK II, EW 60C will be for the 18-55.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:13 PM   #6

so they are lens specific not just "type" specific
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:19 PM   #7

Yes, hood is lens specific, while the 18-55 will be interchangeable with the 55-250, the hood will not be effective if you swap them around. The 55-250 hood would impact the shot on the 18-55 lens, and the 18-55 hood would not do much good at preventing flares on the 55-250 lens.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
so they are lens specific not just "type" specific
Some lens hoods fit multiple lenses. For instance, the ET-60 lens hood for the Canon 55-250 also fits the Canon 75-300 III USM, and the optional lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens also fits the old 28-80 II. But a lens hood for one lens won't generally fit another lens, and even if it did, lens hoods should not be swapped willy-nilly.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Some lens hoods fit multiple lenses. For instance, the ET-60 lens hood for the Canon 55-250 also fits the Canon 75-300 III USM, and the optional lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens also fits the old 28-80 II. But a lens hood for one lens won't generally fit another lens, and even if it did, lens hoods should not be swapped willy-nilly.
Exactly the info i was looking for, thanks. Are there any problems using the 'generic' hoods off the web compared to the $30+ ones officially from the lens manufacturers?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:02 PM   #10

Nope, I got all my hoods for years off of ebay. All 7 of my hoods fit perfectly to the lens it was meant for. And at 4-6 buck a hood as oppose to 30+ It is a big savings.