Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:14 AM   #1

Default Indoor Gym Shooting- AV help-sorry for same old question

Hi, just getting back into it, so I bought a never used Canon Rebel XT, tried a few lens, sigma 50-200mm, but just bought a canon 28-135mm IS to see if it would help indoor basketball shoot.
Anyway, under sports mode most everything is blurry. I read yesterday to try AV mode, at ISO 1600. And I did, question is at home I turned down to 3.5, when I was in gym Ap said 4.0, or 5.6, and when I turned well, it would not go down to 3.5. When I look at info of pictures I took, they say 1/30 or 1/40, but ap is 5.6? I am looking at seeting right know, and it shows the lowest, ap, 3.5 in my living room?Can someone help? Thanks
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:22 AM   #2
Administrator

That lens only has f/3.5 available on it's wider end. When you start zooming in more, your widest available aperture starts dropping (with a widest available aperture of f/5.6 on it's longer end)..

With an XT, your best bet is to get something like a Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM and use it at ISO 1600. That should get your shutter speeds up to around 1/400 to 1/500 second in typical gym lighting (which is what you'll want to target for shutter speeds to get a higher number of keepers without motion blur from subject movement). That lens is often recommended by our Sports Shooters with Canon gear, since it's bright, sharp and fast focusing. But, you'll want to be on the floor to use it (not in the stands), since you'll have a limited range you'll be able to get accurate focus at with an 85mm focal length.

To use a Zoom for indoor sports, you'll want one with f/2.8 available throughout it's focal range. For example, a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM, or Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM. But, you'll want to use ISO 3200 at a minimum with an f/2.8 lens to get target shutter speeds up to an acceptable level (and your XT is limited to a highest available ISO speed of ISO 1600). So, your best bet would be a prime (fixed focal length versus zoom) lens like the 85mm f/1.8 USM I mentioned, unless you can upgrade your camera body to one with higher available ISO speeds so you can use a zoom with f/2.8 available throughout it's focal range. If you're on a very tight budget (i.e, an 85mm f/1.8 USM is cost prohibitive), you may want to get a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 instead. Again, you'll need to shoot from the floor with that type of lens, since your focus accuracy won't be good enough past around 15 feet with a 50mm lens. But, that should allow you to get some keepers without too much motion blur if you shoot at ISO 1600.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:26 AM   #3

Default Canon 50mm 1.8 II work for indoor basketball? AV mode

Hi,
I am new, let me start to say sorry. I just bought a never used Rebel XT and have tried shooting indoor basketball with the 28-135mm IS, AV mode at ISO 1600....got some decent shots.
Would a 50mm, in AV mode, wide open, give me some good shots. I know I would have to position myself in the right spot. I am on a budget, I guess like most. Thankd
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:30 AM   #4

Thanks, I just posted the question on the lens forum. I was thinking like you just stated, if I bought a 50mm 1.8, set AV mode wide open, at 1600 ISO it would give decent shots. thanks
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:37 AM   #5
Administrator

No problem. I've merged the two threads you started so that all of the responses will be in the same place.

I'd probably go manual exposure versus Av mode (since lighting is probably going to be relatively consistent and you'll have less problems with metering difficulties due to different uniform colors, etc.) I'd probably go with something like f/2, ISO 1600 and 1/400 second for starters, reviewing the results and Histogram in Playback, tweaking as needed from there (i.e, use a faster shutter speed if your photos are overexposed, and use a slower shutter speed if they're underexposed). Use a custom white balance set with a gray card (or something white like few white coffee filters stacked together in a pinch) for best results (placing it in between some of the lights on the floor to help average what the camera is measuring, since you can see temperature differences between some of the lights).

Use a slower shutter speed when setting it with Tv mode (Shutter Priority) at around 1/60 second. That's what I see some of our better sports shooters like JohnG recommend, since lighting can often cycle in typical gym lighting, and a faster shutter speed can result in inaccurate lighting temperature readings.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:47 AM   #6
Administrator

You may find this thread to be helpful, too.

Lens working distances
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:51 AM   #7

Thanks, just looked at B H photo, they have the 50mm 1.8 for $99, free shipping,,,then looked on ebay, they are selling for 75-100$ used, am I missing something? Is BH ok to buy from?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:57 AM   #8
Administrator

Yes, B&H is a popular vendor and I see that the EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II is $99.95 with free shipping there right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0mm_f_1_8.html

Some of the lenses you find on the used market may also be the original Mark I version (with more metal in it's construction). The optics on both versions should be comparable, only the newer version has more plastic in it's construction. You'll often see the newer versions of 50mm lenses from manufacturers nicknamed "plastic fantastic" due to their construction and good optics (making them hard to beat for "bang for the buck" if you need a bright lens for low light shooting without a flash).
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:08 AM   #9
Administrator

Here's a recent thread discussing the differences between them:

EF 50MM f/1.8 MK I or II
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:29 AM   #10

50mm 1.8 lens will be good if you're positioned along the baseline. Jims starting exposure settings are a good start. As is his advice for how to set custom white balance.
Make sure your camera is in manual exposure, make sure focus mode is set to AI-Servo, only center focus point is selected and you have it set on continuous shooting.

Shoot in portrait orientation
Acquire your subject in viewfinder and half-press shutter button and track player for a second before taking your shot. You need to give the camera time to focus.

Combined with Jim's advice, that should get you started.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote