Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM for a Canon 30D

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM

These lenses appear available, on the market, MSRP of $500, are usually discounted... and have very, very few reviews. It's as though they are the "mystery lens". I don't know if that is because they are junk or they are great... but they are definity below the radar.

Does anyone have any insights????

Thanks !
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:41 PM   #2

There are a couple other third party, stabilzed standard zoom lenses available, but this one is certainly the price leader at $299 at Adorama.

As I see it, the problem with this lens is that it doesn't offer much that would make it more desireable than Canon's 18-55 IS kit lens. The Sigma is 2/3 stop faster and has less chromatic aberration, but it's $130 more expensive. So even if you don't already have Canon's stabilized kit lens, there's not much reason to pick up the Sigma instead.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 5:33 PM   #3

Yes, it appears close to the kit lens. However, if you didn't have the kit lens... at this one was $199 on Amazon, that appears to be a reasonable price/performance tradeoff for an average shooter... just can't find a whole lot of information about it.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:07 PM   #4

This is as much as I've been able to find on it:

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM (Tested)
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:55 PM   #5

That's about the one and only test I found. Looks like the 17-50 Tamron is "bettter" for the most part, however, at current street prices, at least twice the cost if not a bit more.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:06 PM   #6

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is better but it's not stabilized, and no one has tested the $600 VC version yet. I'm waiting for when they do.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:47 PM   #7

My guess, and it is only that..., is that the 18-50mm is a marketing stop gap type lens while the 17-70 ramps up. And the majority of the focus (all puns intended) will to the 17-70mm in the future.

Would I prefer 17-70mm over 18-50mm? You bet. But, those 17-70's are 3 times the price for the OS version. Frankly, a 35mm equivalent 29mm-80mm covers a lot of ground for me. I try to shoot gymnasium shots, mostly volleyball. Having 2.8 capability is great. I shoot ISO 1000 to 1600 depending on the gym lighting and since I don't blow up the results to a poster size it works ok. The OS has got to help to some degree.

Yes, I am rationalizing this left and right. I just found new ones for $179 delivered, no tax. Argh...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:47 AM   #8

It's possible that Sigma put this one together so their dSLRs could have a stabilized kit lens. It's good, but I don't think it's good enough that people will abandon the kit lenses they've got.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:34 AM   #9

Agreed. This is for someone who does not have the kit lens (bought the body separate for whatever reason...)