Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:11 AM   #11

Just have to buy more "L" lenses in that case. Of course that is easier said than done in todays market.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:18 AM   #12
Super Moderator

The 18-55 IS is a very good kit lens and great value.

But the new 15-85 IS is superb and if you want a better lens, with extra range at both the wide and telephoto ends, then looks like a very worthwhile upgrade.

Check out the reviews of the two lenses at slrgear.com
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:09 PM   #13

Default Walk around lens.

The 17-85mm lens is a nice walk around and travel choice and does give you more reach than the 18-55mm kit lens. It is solid, focuses quickly as it is a USM lens, and plenty sharp enough for non-professional use. the 15-85 sounds enticing, but you will pay the price for newness.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:30 PM   #14

I got the T1i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses. To my surprise, I use the longer lens constantly. In fact, it rarely comes off the camera. For my needs, shooting my family (it's often easier to get a good shot of the kids from a bit of distance so they can't see it coming) and some landscapes, it's the perfect range. I literally only use the 18-55mm when I need the wider angle. Everybody's needs are different though.
fbords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:33 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbords View Post
I got the T1i with the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses. To my surprise, I use the longer lens constantly. In fact, it rarely comes off the camera. For my needs, shooting my family (it's often easier to get a good shot of the kids from a bit of distance so they can't see it coming) and some landscapes, it's the perfect range. I literally only use the 18-55mm when I need the wider angle. Everybody's needs are different though.
yes, indeed. like myself, i shoot landscape/cityscape most often. so my walkaround lens is a tokina 12-24
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:35 PM   #16

Very true fbords,

If I only take one lens with me, I bring a 28-135mm personally.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:57 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Everyone's needs are indeed different.

I use my 70-300 zoom about once a year, and often go for months without using anything other than a 50mm prime.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:05 PM   #18

Certainly do not count out the 28-135 IS Lens. Alot of 7D owners sell theirs out of the kit and I have seen them go new this way below $300 and even below $250. I took my avatar shot with the 28-135. Keeping in mind this is an older lens, shot in a mirror, three images shot handheld at 1/13 shutter speed and in addition on the 7D, which will show a lenses shortcomings. Look on fredmiranda.com (not ebay), and you can find this lens at a very good price.

http://www.socalsurfs.com/avatar.jpg

Last edited by Widowmaker; Jan 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:21 PM   #19
Administrator

I removed the img tags and left a link instead of an embedded image. We prefer that image size is limited to no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side for embedding images in posts here.

Keep in mind that the most used monitor resolution by internet users is still around 1024x768 pixels. We also have a number of members using netbooks or laptops.

So, when you embed an image that large in a post (that's a 3630 3066 pixel image), members with lower resolution displays have to scroll back and forth to see the entire image.

That also means that they need to scroll back and forth to read any text on the same forums page (since a wider image makes the entire thread wider for word wrap purposes).

We have a "hard limit" of 1024 pixels on either side when attaching an image from a local hard drive to a post here now for those reasons. But, we don't have a way to control it yet for images on servers elsewhere (other than to let members know that a larger image like that can cause viewing issues in threads when we see them).

IOW, if you want to demonstrate what an image looks like at a larger viewing size, we'd prefer that you include a link versus embedding the images in a post.

Thanks.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:52 PM   #20

The kit lens is a good lens at a great price. Of course the store clerk looked at you like it was nuts. It's her job to SELL YOU GEAR. It's your job to know what you need. And the kit lens is a great "walk around" lens.