Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:25 PM   #21

Yeah the clerk wanted to sell a $575 Canon (overpriced 18-85 Is).
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:34 AM   #22
Super Moderator

The 15-85 IS lens is an excellent lens.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1293/cat/11

Is it overpriced? One of those arguments which is essentially pointless; an item is usually described as overpriced if you would like to own it and can't afford it.

There is nothing really like it on the market from any other manufacturer.

I'm a lot less impressed with the 28-135, I can't understand why on earth they would ship it with the 7D. The range is wrong for most people on a 1.6 crop. Some people are happy enough with it, but everyone I know in real life who has owned one has regretted the purchase. Steve Huff thinks it's a complete dog and massively under-specced for a camera like the 7D. I guess this goes a long way to explaining why there are so many of them on ebay in mint condition.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:25 AM   #23

The 28-135mm is a good range for a film or FF body. I actually like mine. I use it allot personally even on the crop body. On the crop body a 15-85 or 17-85 would be the similar range to the 28-135 and a bit better choice. But I am not about to get ride of my 28-135mm anytime soon, it fits my needs in a walk around lens.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The 15-85 IS lens is an excellent lens.

There is nothing really like it on the market from any other manufacturer.
Not quite. There's the Sony/Zeiss 16-80/3.5-4.5, but it sells for $750 which, if the Canon 15-85 is overpriced, the Sony/Zeiss probably is too.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:29 AM   #25
Super Moderator

But you really have to twist it hard to get it onto a Canon body. :P

And amazingly the Canon turns in results wide open that are on par or even better (wrt sharpness) than the Zeiss whilst having a slightly bigger zoom range. The Zeiss is a great lens though.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 30, 2010 at 5:32 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:08 AM   #26

Glad to see the 15-85 getting good reviews. I bought the 17-85 three years ago and while I've been generally happy with its performance (except distortions at 17mm and there'bouts that I correct to a degree with Bibble), it's a mechanical dud. The zoom has locked on my three times now. I had to pay the first time, Canon repaired it again at no cost last year, and now it's locked up again while I'm on a trip to Singapore. When I return, I'm planning to talk to the Canon service reps about some sort of credit towards a 15-85 since this pig is probably now worthless to me.
docfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Yeah the clerk wanted to sell a $575 Canon (overpriced 18-85 Is).
I had a typo, I was talking about the 17-85 which should be about 450.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:14 PM   #28

Default Canon 28-135mm lens totally under-rated (IMHO)

Hi Gang, Total newbie to this board... you all got me so riled up that I finally got around to registering...

Steve's DigiCams was the web site I used to get info for my very 1st digicam, the Olympus C-5060 WZ... a great camera, and still highly rated for its class, along w/ its cousins the 7070 & the 8080(?)... but, I digress...

If anyone thinks that the 28-135mm IS lens is not a great deal new @ $250 - $300 they have never used one, esp. on a cropper... the focus is very quick, sharp, and the IQ in general is worthy of a way more expensive lens, and the IS works really well... the only reason they are available for such a low price is that folks are told by sales persons and snobs that the lens is 'weak' or whatever... wrong, wrong, wrong...

I now have a cool quiver of "L" grade glass, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 300 f4 IS, 400 f5.6 plus a few other goodies, Canon 15mm fisheye, old f2.5 Macro, etc... so I really do know my glass... btw, I use both FF (5D2) and Crop (50D)... and no, I'me probably not worthy of my Canon collection, but it's worth it to eat beans for a while to have such fantastic equip!!!

anyway...

Peace and stuff,

Tom
point_arena_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:30 PM   #29

Tom,

I agree, it is a very good lens, when I am not carrying my primes around. And want a all in one solution, it is my lens of choice.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:40 PM   #30
Super Moderator

i still use my 28-135 from time to time as well. its a bit long on my 50d for alot of things i shoot, but i will often toss it in my bag with my tokina 12-24 on the camera, pull it out when 24mm isn't long enough.

for alot of ppl, myself included, its a bit long for a walkabout by itself, but its a nice short tele. and on my crop body its plenty sharp, but then again, i have always thought i had a good copy of it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote