Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:41 PM   #31

Where are you getting a 28-135 for $250?
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:47 PM   #32

you can get it used for that price on ebay. New is around 300 dollars. Check KEH also for a used one, and adorama has a bunch of them is very good to excellent condition form 250 and up

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:37 PM   #33

Default Hmmm...

As stated in my 1st post, I'me a total newbie on this board, so I do not know what's OK or not OK, but given that...

When I bought my very early version 5D2 the only way I could make the deal was to include the "Kit Lens", in this case the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for $200 more than the camera price alone... since I already had purchased one new a few years back for $444 and loved it, I knew that I would eventually be able to get more than the $200 Premium I paid (B&H, if I remember correctly, mebbe Adorama)... so... I have this brand new in a box 28-135mm lens that I would be happy to part w/ for say $250 giving me a few $$$ on my investment and giving some lucky duck a chance @ getting what I consider a fine 'walk around lens' for a good price...

BUT!!!

Is this cool to mention on this board??!?! I certainly would not want to start off on the wrong foot here, screwing up on my 1st day posting...

So, what's up here for offering items for sale? Am I out of line??? If so, pls forgive a newbie...

Tom
point_arena_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:51 PM   #34

actually you will find allot of new 28-135 out there, allot of 7D owner are selling them form the kit brand new. Some already have the lens and rather use the copy they have. Other go with what the reviews say as it is not as good as the L lens. But for the person who do not want to spend the money on a L lens, it is a pretty good lens.

Waoldriflemen,

Just a note, if you shoot landscape and buildings. You may want to get a wider angle then the 28mm that the ef 28-135 has on a crop body. A lens ranging from 15mm to 18mm on it's wide end will give you better wide angle results. It really depends on what type of things you shoot, weather the ef 28-135 would be the right walk around lens for you.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:22 AM   #35
Super Moderator

Check out the blur charts at slrgear.com. At the telephoto end it's pretty horrible, even on a crop.

Why Canon would sell a 45-215mm equivalent as the kit lens on the 7D is beyond me, and that anyone would actually buy it is even more amazing. Perhaps Canon have a great stockpile of the things and they figure it's a way to reduce stocks of a lens they made far too many of.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:53 PM   #36

Default photozone.de 28-135 lens specs

Interesting... I'm wondering if something is happening here similar to the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens... the early versions were very soft @ 400mm, as almost every review I read 4 - 5 years ago agreed, but the newer versions have been much improved in that respect...
I know that the 28-135mm IS was pretty much trashed in the film era, but when it's used on a crop body it does very well... check out:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/19...report--review

the distortion specs are actually way better at the wide end than the 24-105mm f4L IS and the MTF specs aren't too shabby either...

I sold my original 28-135 on a 40D body to a friend and have just found a home for the "kit" version, and, I would never go back after I saw the results from my 24-105 lens, but still, please check out the photozone.de info... you might want to re-think dissing the 28-135 @ about $250 $300 new vis-a-vis about $1058 (Amazon) for the 24-105 in the case of some one just starting off in this wonderful money pit!

BTW, I agree that the zoom range on a 1.6 crop camera leaves a bit to be desired, but I used mine for a year or two as a walk around lens w/ satisfactory results, IMHO, anyway...

Tom
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:08 PM   #37

I have a later copy of the 28-135, I used it on my eos-1 and it was a very good lens for film. Did not have any complaints. It did the job I put it to. It was not a L lens, but I really do not think for my needs a L lens was justified back then and still believe that since this is a hobby the L lens is still not justified, especially for the cost.

Also the range makes allot of sense for FF and film.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:42 PM   #38

Default shoturtle

Thanks for the input... I do believe this subject might be worked, for now, anyway.

This sure seems to be a 'user friendly / newbie to forum friendly' place, which is really refreshing...

Now I'll explore the forums further, only adding that there is much quality info to be found re: lens testing on photozone.de, which is also a very friendly place... if folks haven't tried it out yet, please do so for your own benefit, then scoot right back here...

Peace,
Tom