Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:23 PM   #1

Default General walk around lens

Ok so I am going to get either a T1i or 50D next month (want the 50D, but will have to see if the deals and dollars are there). I will be getting one of the cannon 70-200 F4 lens as my long range lens, but need a shorter lens for family/walk around times. I had planned on the 18-55 kit lens, but local store clerk looked like I was nuts and truthfully would like a little more range. Money is an issue so I would prefer not to spend more than 500. I would welcome your opinions.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:02 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I know this isn't your question, however I was curious why you decided on the 70-200mm f4 (great lens don't get me wrong).

Getting back to your real question, the 18-55 is actually a very good kit lens (the older non IS version was pretty weak). What was the clerk suggesting? As soon as you mention more range you are generally going to go down in quality but obviously up in convenience.

If you want to go up in quality then something like the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens is wonderful but you lose range, another good option is the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5. There are both stabilised and non stabilised versions of each.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:12 PM   #3

I second Mark's suggestions, and reiterate that the current 18-55 IS kit lens is one of the best of its kind. If the clerk was looking down his nose at you for asking about it, maybe you can get a good deal on one from him.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:29 PM   #4

18-55mm IS is a very sharp lens. And it is a very good value.

If want more range you may also want to look at the canon ef-s17-85mm IS, it just got discontinue, but you can find them at the store. They are about 330-340 dollars with some haggling.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:11 PM   #5

Ok cool I was concerned that the 18-55 would be too short for a general lens. As for the question about the 70-200 F4 it was based on the recommendation of John G and I have tried the lens in the store and it is a fast focusing lens that will work for daughters youth soccer games. The alternative was the 70-300 which is actually a little cheaper, but slower. If there is a better choice I would love to hear it, my buget is about 650 for that lens, maybe a little higher since the short lens will be under 200.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:20 PM   #6

The 18-55 IS kit lens is a good lens and will work for you for a long time. I have been using one since Christmas but that because my wife took my 17-85 Canon lens. She likes that extra range of the from 55mm to 85mm, never should have bought her that T1i. Anyway the only thing I notice on the 18-55 IS lens is it doesn't like focusing in dim light, other than that it works very well.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:49 PM   #7

Calicajun,

That is why I have the Eos system, and wife will be getting a m4/3 olympus ep-2. No borrowing between system.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Super Moderator

to reiterate, the kit lens is quite nice, and the clerk was just being a salesman, or is misinformed.

also.. LOL shoturtle.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Calicajun,

That is why I have the Eos system, and wife will be getting a m4/3 olympus ep-2. No borrowing between system.
Good idea but then it's easier to get my wife to let be buy "L" lenses now. Which BTW my new 24-105mm Canon "L" should be on my doorstep Tuesday. No more red rubber bands around my lenses now.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:46 PM   #10

I see good plan, just hope the wife does not decide to borrow that one also It might be in her plans for you to get the L after all