Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:27 PM   #11

Thanks, is there a way to check them beyond giving them a try? Could I tell fungus by taking a few pics? Sorry for all the basic questions.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:32 PM   #12

bring a good flash light, If there is a fungus issue, you can see it when you light up the lens and look into it.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Super Moderator

you can probably see it if you take it off the body and hold it up to a light. you would also probably have some idea of how well they have been cared for just by the general appearance.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:36 PM   #14

Ok, just an update, after a week or two of playing phone tag, we finally got together and I bought the package. I was not at home, and didn't have my camera with me so I didn't get a chance to try out the lenses. The batteries were dead in the camera that I was buying in the kit too, so I never really got a chance to try them out.

I looked at both lenses, the 50mm one more since that is the one I wanted. I noticed there was a speck of dust or something on the inside of the lens, so I negotiated the priced down to $75.

I got home and tried the lenses, both work just fine, the rest of the stuff (camera, flash, bag) got thrown in a drawer for now. Even though the speck of dust didn't seem to matter in the pics, I knew it would always bug me. So I pulled the front dust cover? off the lens and with a Que-tip cleaned the speck right off and put it back together. Good as new.

SO, after all said and done, I got a 50mm f1.8 mkI, a 70-210 f3.5-4.5 zoom lens, an old canon 850 camera, old flash, and a bag for $75. Really couldn't be happier. I have seen both lenses go for well over $150 on Ebay, so I am a little surprised he didn't sell them quicker. I think I emailed him (Craigslist) about 3 weeks after he posted them.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Super Moderator

i have the 70-210 3.5-4.5 actually as well. have had since the old 630.

its a pretty good telephoto, with a very fast USM and a decently fast max aperture for a consumer tele. decently sharp, contrasty enough, and focuses really fast.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:09 PM   #16

I have the 50mm 1.8 Mk1. It is superior to the current versions in build. Though it is not necessarily superior opitically to the Mk II. It's a good lens when you can get the original. The 70-210 was a nice lens in that it was a constant f/4. I used it for many years and took some nice pics with it. The only gripe was that it tended to zoom out when in the pointed down position unless you held the zoom. You have what I believe to be one of the later versions. The constant f/4 lens would have been a good one to have for a while. Still a good deal for useful lenses IMHO.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote