Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:26 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by echaban
Hmmmm..... Well, either of those lenses would kick me into triple rebate mode having bought a 55-200 and 75-300 already.
That's an extra fifty bucks back. 105 rebate bux total. Hmmmmm.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Think hard both of thoses lenses have USM which are faster (and quieter) @ focusing than the non-USM EF-50 f/1.8 series II!

BTW USM allows you to manually overide the AF anytime without having to flip the AF/MF switch first... (Full-time manual focusing is what Canon calls it)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:39 PM   #12

An full-time manual overrie is a wonderful thing.

I hate it with the 10D says the picture is in focus, but it's clearly not. Luckly, most of my lenses have full-time override, so I just fix it without having to fumble with any switches.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:50 PM   #13

echaban - I was trading a 4 year old sigma 70-300 DL that just returned from an under warranty servicing for a dead AF motor. I didn't need the lens - I have a 75-300 (bought to replace the sigma) and a 70-210 f2.8 that I got recently.

Given the age/new price/repair status I didn't expect to get much for it.

NHL/eric - I hadn't thought about the USM on the f1.4. I'd have to try it out before deciding, my big Tamron has MF overide and I'm starting to like it. My biggest problem is that I can't focus well enough manually - my vision isn't 20/20 with contacts!
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2003, 12:09 AM   #14
NHL

Quote:
I hadn't thought about the USM on the f1.4. I'd have to try it out before deciding, my big Tamron has MF overide and I'm starting to like it. My biggest problem is that I can't focus well enough manually - my vision isn't 20/20 with contacts!
... You'll appreciate the silence of the UltraSonic Motor as well, it's like magic with none of the whirring sound of the focusing gears (and its quickness too)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 4:44 PM   #15

Decided to get the 1.8 cheapie anyway. Sure it's not as good as some of the other lenses mentioned, but at less than 70 bux, it's too good to pass up. Nobody says it's garbage so... Motor noise and focusing speed won't bother me that much.
Same thing with manual focus. There's no split screen or prisms in the viewfinder anyway so....

If E-bay is any indication, they retain value pretty well so even if I decide it sucks it will be no skin off my nose.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 9:12 PM   #16

Im having a hard time even finding one that will stay on ebay long enough... lol
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2003, 12:05 AM   #17

Just click the "notify me when available" link on B&H's site and you'll get an e-mail when they come in. They do not put you on a spam list so there's nothing to worry about.

As I predicted, another shipment sold out a less than 3 days. this lens has to be the single biggest bargain in Canon's product line.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 10:09 PM   #18

Feel lucky - I have been reading up on the Canon 50mm 1.8 II and just decided to pull the trigger and order 1 from B&H yesterday for my digital rebel. Got my confirmation that the lens is on its way - now when I look at their site today they are sold out again ! :shock:

Jeff
jefftaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 12:56 AM   #19
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
I hate it with the 10D says the picture is in focus, but it's clearly not. Luckly, most of my lenses have full-time override, so I just fix it without having to fumble with any switches.
I do the same...

Sometimes I chuckle a bit... the final solution to some of these focusing anomalies is... to turn the focusing ring until the image becomes sharper...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:55 PM   #20

Yeah, I ended up trying to buy from two places and dang if I didn't end up with 2 of these babys!

Needless to say, I need to recoup my cost on one. So I'll sell it (brand new, unopened) for $85 (what I ended up paying after tax and shipping) + plus actual shipping to the buyer, if anyone is interested.

BTW.. I have the Mk II lens.
GuyGadbois is offline   Reply With Quote