Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:12 PM   #1

Default which 50mm/1.8 lens?

I'm trading in a lens tomorrow and will use the proceeds to get a new lens. I'm going to get a 50mm/1.8 lens - sharp optics, large aperature - and with the 1.7X factor I'll have a reasonably nice portrait lens.

The store has a used Mark I version (metal body, better MF ring) or a new Mark II for $10 less. Is it worth it to get a used version?

Does anyone one know when the Mark II was introduced? It bothers me to pay more for the used lens but a lot of posts suggest getting it over the newer ones. BUT those posts a 3-4 years old so I'm wondering if the comparison's are still valid, this isn't a 6 month old used lens vs. a new one.

thanks in advance
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 4:05 PM   #2

You should also consider the warranty situation. I have bought many used lenses without problems over my photog years but always at a greatly reduced price. Used optics can get jarred in handling and become misaligned without cosmetic damage.
I would go for the new lens even if the focusing ring is plastic versus metal.
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:00 PM   #3

I've also been looking into the 50mm 1.8. Seems as though the ones with metal mounts are commanding a premium. Used units are selling for up to $150 on Ebay.

There's lots of hype around this lens. To my mind buying the newer lens with the plastic mount is reasonable. It's a hellava fast lens at a bargain price! Who cares if it breaks eventually?

Considering you can get the newer Mark II version (optically equivalent to the Mark I) for less than $70 I'd say grab two of 'em and you'll be covered. Yes, the Mark I had better build quality, but geez...people!!!!!

Incidentally, my local camera shop does not stock this lens. Pity because it's the biggest bargain out there. Can't help but think it's a deliberate attempt to sell more expensive gear to people who would do just fine with this wonderful cheapie. B&H just got a new shipment in after selling out in record time!
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:07 PM   #4

DAMN!! The new shipment is already sold out!!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=12142&is=USA
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:32 AM   #5
NHL

There's always the all-metal EF 50mm f/1.4 with USM!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
There's always the all-metal EF 50mm f/1.4 with USM!
Yeah, but Santa says I wasn't that good
Old Nov 26, 2003, 1:29 PM   #7
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by echaban
... You can always sweetalk your Santa into it's cheaper than an equivalent 85mm and "designed to give beautiful background blur" with a bigger f/1.4! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 1:56 PM   #8

it's a dead issue for me - the mark I was sold before I got there and the lens I wanted to trade in wouldn't have covered the cost of it either.

I don't think I'd buy the f1.4 lens - photo.net did a comparison and the more expensive lens appears to suffer from higher distortion. I can live with the light falloff in the corners - with the smaller than 35mm sensor you'd likely never see it.

I'm glad to see that my feelings about the premium price for the used lens are shared by others.

My Santa is of the opinion that while I was good this year, a new camera, two lenses, three bags and a whack of accessories will have to do for this and next year's holiday.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2003, 2:41 PM   #9

What lens were you looking to trade by the way?
Old Nov 26, 2003, 2:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by echaban
... You can always sweetalk your Santa into it's cheaper than an equivalent 85mm and "designed to give beautiful background blur" with a bigger f/1.4! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmmm..... Well, either of those lenses would kick me into triple rebate mode having bought a 55-200 and 75-300 already.
That's an extra fifty bucks back. 105 rebate bux total. Hmmmmm.....