Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:05 PM   #1

Default 28mm lens

Is it worth upgrading from ef 28mm f2.8 to a ef 28mm f1.8. I am considering un retiring my 28mm 2.8 that sits on an old eos as a display piece. Selling it and picking up a ef 28mm f1.8 for the t1i, giving it a 50mm range with the crop body.

So what are your opinions about this move? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:23 PM   #2

The question is whether you like the 28mm as a standard lens to spend $459 to gain 2 f stops. If you are not using the 28mm f 2.8 now, will you be using it more if the lens is a f 1.8?
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:52 AM   #3

I was not using it on a film body to often, and used the 50mm 1.8 more because it was was eye view. But I notice that the 50mm is a bit long, so I was thinking of going back to the 28mm to give me the eye view that the 50mm give with the film body. Also, I am not buying new, and it would be a very good price for used one.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 3:41 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I loved the 28 f1.8 on the crop. I stupidly sold it when I went FF, thinking I would use the 24-105L instead. But now I'm seriously considering ditching the 24-105L in favour of the 28 f1.8 again simply because of the difference in size.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/83/cat/10

On a crop body it's perfectly respectable at f2, very sharp in the centre, and I don't know anyone who in the real world needs corner sharpness at f2. By f5.6 it's out-resolving the sensor by some margin, even on FF in the corners.

It has great build quality and very fast AF, a much better lens than the 35 f2 which has horrible AF and nasty build.

I loved my 28 f1.8. I know Dustin had (still has?) one as well and regarded it highly.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:19 AM   #5

I messages Dustin, I he is with you on the 28mm 1.8. I would be getting it at a great price, and it will be even better with the trade in or ebay sale of my 28mm 2.8.

I really like the USM of my 85mm and my other USM lenses.

Seems the ppl that have use it really like the 1.8 over the 2.8.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 5:58 AM   #6
Super Moderator

If I had to use only one lens on a crop body it would be the 28 f1.8, no question.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 2:28 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If I had to use only one lens on a crop body it would be the 28 f1.8, no question.
if i were to use 1 prime on a crop body, then yes i wholeheartedly agree. the 28 1.8 is a great focal length on a crop, and the USM is nice, it is small and light. 1.8 isn't stellar, but its better than not having it, and its still decently sharp in the middle, which really at f1.8 do the corners matter?

when i originally got this, i was planning on getting the 28 1.8, 50 1.4, and 85 1.8, which i think is a very nice trio of primes.

i got sidetracked and picked up the 60 2.8 macro, so i think i will add the 100 f2.0 instead giving me the 28 1.8, 50 1.8 mk1, 60 2.8, and 100 f2.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:28 AM   #8

just to put a slightly different spin on this thread - why not consider a Sigma 30mm f/1.4? It's usually cheaper than 28/1.8, and still 2/3 of a stop faster, HSM is about the same as USM, it comes with a lens hood and a nice (may be slightly oversized) lens pouch), build quality is very good. Last but not least - the IQ is great. Colour rendition is a bit different than Canon lenses, but if you shoot RAW it doesn't matter. It's sharp at f/1.4 and is a fun lens to use. There are a lot of horror stories of front/back focusing, but mine was spot on out of the box, and it makes a very nice prime trio for my uses: 30/1.4, 60/2.8 and 85/1.8. Hardly ever use my nifty fifty, but this Sigma got me thinking about getting a Sigma 50mm/1.4 HSM.
The only drawback of 30mm/1.4 - it won't work on a full frame/35mm camera, it was made for crop sensor DSLRs, but so is 60mm/2.8 macro
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:12 PM   #9

algold,

You hit on one of the reason I did not consider the sigma. I still shoot film, not as much but I still use my eos 1.

Also I found a great used deal on the ef 28mm 1.8. And with the trade in of my ef 28mm 2.8, it was a bargain in my opinion.

I shoot more primes then zooms. I love my ef 85mm 1.8, it is by far my favorite lens. I have also just got my wife the ef 100mm 2.8 macro. And with the ef 28 and nifty fifty. It have rounded out my prime line up. I may decide to go with a ef 50 1.4 one day. All these lenses will work on my eos 1.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:00 PM   #10
Super Moderator

The Sigma is by all accounts a good lens.

My (limited experience with only one Sigma HX lens) is that:
1. The colour is more yellow, the Canon more Red. I prefer Canon. It's certainly possible to adjust in post, but it's a pain and "one size fits all" adjustments via presets are not as good as they sound. But some people prefer the Sigma colour.

2. HSM is good, but it's not as good as the USM on the 28 f1.8. It overshoots more often and is noisier and is all-round less accurate.

3. The Sigma has the extra 1/2 stop and is in fact sharper wide open than the 28mm. If you can get good focus with the Sigma it'll be sharper at wide apertures.

4. Finally there is the bokeh. I prefer the Canon slightly, but it has to be said I think that neither lens is particularly good in this regard. Some people prefer the Sigma. The best thing to do is browse Flickr or suchlike to see how you personally feel about it.

5. The build quality of the Sigma and Canon are both good.

I would choose the Canon if I had to buy again, but based only on personal preference for the colour and bokeh and a slight niggling doubt about the Sigma AF system. The Sigma is certainly not a worse choice though, just different.