Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:51 PM   #1

Default Best Lens for Indoor Parties

I am looking for the best lens for indoor family parties. I want to capture "action" shots of the family interacting together. Pictures of the party going on. I would rather not using an external flash if possible.

Ihave a 50mm 1.8 but read that this lens is better for single person shots.

What would be a good lens for this?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

why do you not want to use flash?
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:08 PM   #3

I am referring to an external flash like the ex430
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
why do you not want to use flash?
Excellent question. You state you want to capture shots of people interacting naturally - that means some movement and no guarantees subjects are in the same focal plane. That means available light photography will fail in many instances. Available light can still work in those instances where you have a lot of light. But way too many times that's not the case. An external bounced flash allows you to take the types of shots you want to take.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Excellent question. You state you want to capture shots of people interacting naturally - that means some movement and no guarantees subjects are in the same focal plane. That means available light photography will fail in many instances. Available light can still work in those instances where you have a lot of light. But way too many times that's not the case. An external bounced flash allows you to take the types of shots you want to take.
Yes I am talking about the photos like you posted. I dont have a external flash is why. I am trying to avoid the external flash because of the price and extra equipment.

So are you saying that if I want to be able to do this I will require an external flash like the ex430?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:32 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
So are you saying that if I want to be able to do this I will require an external flash like the ex430?
Most likely as you want to stop down (i.e. make it darker) the lens to get more depht-of-field (DOF) to focus on multiple people

Last edited by NHL; Feb 1, 2010 at 3:36 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:37 PM   #7
Super Moderator

yes, you would need a bounce capable flash like the 430EXII to get these results for the reasons John n NHL mentioned.

if you are looking to save a little money, you could pick up the original (not II version) of the 430EX pretty cheap on ebay, and they work quite well. also the Metz 48 is a bit cheaper than the 430EXII and is essentially just as capable.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:23 AM   #8

I found the Metz 48 for 225 shipped on ebay. This is $50 cheaper than the 430ex ii. I really like the abilty to upgrade the metz using usb.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
I found the Metz 48 for 225 shipped on ebay. This is $50 cheaper than the 430ex ii. I really like the abilty to upgrade the metz using usb.
that metz is a nice flash, congrtz
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:38 AM   #10

a ef 28 would not be a bad lens if you want to put more people into the shot without backing up, it will give you a eye view prespective. Canon has two 28mm primes, 2.8 and the 1.8 usm. The 1.8 is a better lens, but twice the price. I just upgraded to it from the 2.8, which is a decent lens for the money.

You can find a ef 28mm 2.8 for about 150-170 dollars used on ebay. The 1.8 runs close to 400 dollars.

Also congratz on the metz 48, it is a great flash.