Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:54 PM   #1

Default How to choose the right lens

What is the best method to determine the best lens for your shooting conditions? Right now I have an XSI, kit lens, 50mm 1.8, and 55-250mm. From the reading i have done so far it seems this is the most popular choices to start with. Are there any lens that should be added for general photo taking?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I suggest going out and learning to use the equipment you have right now, you have a great start and those lenses will cover a good variety of shooting situations. Shoot as much as you can, and see what types of photography you are most interested in. After you have done this for a year or so, you will be keenly aware of the limitations of your current setup and what you need to fill in these gaps.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:14 PM   #3

You've got a good combination of lenses for most general purpose photography. When you step out of that "general purpose photography", that's when you'll need other lenses. Explore the capabilities of what you've got, and take note of what didn't work because of the equipment!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I agree you have a good selection and reasonable quality so don't jump in and just buy something for the sake of buying a new lens. When you find a key gap then fill it but apart from that you will just be burning money.

I would suggest you consider an external flash if you are into portraits (indoor and out) as this could really give your photos a boost.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:13 PM   #5

I do have a 430 ex on the list. I was wondering about a fast lens with some zoom for indoor shots. Something for basketball.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:21 PM   #6

well for indoor sport you do need a fast lens, it is very demanding. EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM is a very good lens for indoor shooting but it is over 1700 dollars. But if you do not want to spend that type of money, the ef 70-200 f4L is about 1100, and the ef 70-300mm IS USM around 500. The 300 is not as fast as the L series lens, but a pretty good consumer level lens.