Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:38 AM   #1

Default telephoto lens 219?!?!

i dont know if im seeing this right...

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-650-130...963783&sr=8-11

but for something with that much zoom that cheap whats the deal?
sotorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 4:50 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Have a guess............. LOL.

At one point or another most people new to photography will be tempted by a long cheap lens such as this but there is a very good reason why it is so cheap.

In this game 95% of the time $ € = quality. The more you pay the better the kit. If you are not paying over 10x the price for a lens this long then it is going to be poor at very best!

Let's take this lens as an example. It has no Auto Focus, the aperture is fixed and very slow (narrow, doesn't let in much light) and from everything I've seen it is pretty soft too, so you are getting what you pay for. Personally I would much rather have a Canon 55-250 IS lens. Sure it doesn't have the length, but there is no comparison in quality. If you need longer then a Tamron 70-300 is much cheaper or you can go to the Canon 70-300mm IS USM. The next longer lens to look at is the Canon 400mm f5.6 which is lovely but so is the price.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:16 AM   #3

Right on Mark.....You do get what you pay for....Remember when people rushed out and bought a Gremlin automobile with Firestone tires....Yikes..........
Save the money and buy a nice lens...You won't regret it...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:58 AM   #4

The longer a telephoto lens is, the more refracting is going on, and if you don't do it right, you'll get a lot of soft images with a lot of chromatic aberation.

If you want to get a long lens that's inexpensive, get a catadioptric (mirror) lens. It will have fewer polished surfaces, so it will be sharper, and there isn't much refracting going on, so there won't be much CA.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:27 PM   #5

Oh ok i was just searching around and i saw that one. So basically that is a off brand type thing.
sotorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotorious View Post
Oh ok i was just searching around and i saw that one. So basically that is a off brand type thing.
... and you think Opteka isn't an off-brand?

The same mirror lenses are marketed by Bower, Pro-Optic, Samyang, and Vivitar, though I think they're all made by Samyang. They're available in 500mm f/8, 500mm f/6.3, and 800mm f/8, and all require an appropriate T-Mount adapter.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote