Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:54 PM   #1

Default Looking for a new lens

I have the T1i with the cannon 18-55 kit lens. I also have a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 af pro d lens that I use for macro. I am starting to want to dabble in wildlife shots, specifially birds but landscape and deer. I had been looking at the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 but my kit lense already does 18-55 and I already have a macro lens so to me it could be a waste (or my other lenses could be a waste). I would like to stick around the $500 price range. Any suggestions for a zoom lens that would fit the needs and price?
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:02 PM   #2

canon ef 70-300mm IS USM, may not be the best for birds in flight because it does not have the reach of a 500mm lens, but will do a very good job for wifelife and birds not flying. Gives you pretty good reach. And it is in your price range.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
canon ef 70-300mm IS USM, may not be the best for birds in flight because it does not have the reach of a 500mm lens, but will do a very good job for wifelife and birds not flying. Gives you pretty good reach. And it is in your price range.
Thats funny you mention that because i was just looking at that lens. So birds in flight would need a longer reach? Why is that?
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:16 PM   #4

They are further away in some cases, also they are not that large of a subject depending on the breed. You may not get up close enough with the 300mm. Most of the bird in flight shots I see are taken with the bigma 500mm. But taking bird in flight takes allot of practice also.

Also it is a pretty fast lens with the USM motor, but it is not ring mounted like the L series lenses. Do depending on how fast the bird is flying. It may not AF fast enough to stay in focus.

But I have been very happy with my ef 70-300mm IS USM

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

And needless to say, the Bigma is BIG and heavy. The Canon 70-300 is a very good start into your wildlife forays.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:16 AM   #6

Default Fun Lens

Simtech...If you really want to get into birds and wildlife, save your penny's and go for the Canon 100-400mm L ....I have had more fun with this lens than any other in my bag...
Attached Images

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:53 AM   #7

Hey John -

Nice shots.

I love the bird and Coast Guard shots!
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:02 AM   #8

Thanks Andy....
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:20 AM   #9

Simtech,

If you want to remain in your budget, the ef 70-300 IS USM is a very good lens for wildlife and larger animal. Actually it is a pretty good range for safari's. And since it is not as heavy as the Bigma or the ef 100-400 L, it makes it allot more user friendly. And way easier on the wallet.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:32 AM   #10

I'm going to add my voice of caution. When I do wildlife shooting I currently use the 100-400. And it is frustratingly short. If you're shooting pelicans at the beach or gulls at the pier or parking lots then you don't need much reach because you can get relatively close to these large birds. And if you're shooting deer in the back yard at 30 yards then you don't need a lot of reach. In those cases, something like the 70-300 is a great choice. If you're not though, I think you're going to find 300mm very short.

So, it's important you go into this with proper expectations. Expectations and budget are two different lines on the graph of life. They don't always intersect.

My personal advice is that you state the types of birds and situations you plan on shooting in and pay attention to the people that actually shoot those birds here. There are a lot of birders on the site - Oly, Pentax, Canon, Nikon. If you give those folks an idea of the types of birds you want to photograph and the situations you'll be in you'll get experienced advice on what focal lengths you'll need. AND, just as importantly you can look at the bird photos of the people advising you how to spend your money and judge for yourself how good their advice is.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote