Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1

Default XSi body only...lens for beginner?

Hi all,

A gentleman has a XSi body only that he's looking to sell along with a 50mm f1.8 lens. Both are in excellent condition but I was wondering what lens in addition to the 50mm I should get since I'm starting out. Would you recommend I buy the kit lens or something else? The body and lens he's selling for 550.00 (450 body and 100 lens). Price is somewhat a factor but not a determination. Eventually I'd like to get a telephoto lens but for right now it would be to take shots of my little one outside as she's playing in the yard.

I haven't bought it yet but will next week. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciative.

Oooppsss.....sorry, I meant to put this in the "lenses" subsection. Also, read some of the other posts under thread "General Walk Around" which seems to answer my question aswell. However, any additional info is always welcome.

Last edited by Shutterbug74; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Moved for you. I would get the kit lens as they are pretty cheap on eBay.

I won't advise on the prices as I'm not in the US so someone else can advise if you are getting a good deal.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Administrator

It looks like you can probably buy one brand new for about $50 more. I'm not familiar with Canadian vendors, but I found this one with a quick google search showing the XSi body at $499.95 (or with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens for $599.95, which is giving you a discount versus buying the lens by itself like you'd need to do if you bought a body by itself from somebody else).

http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSL...ody-black.aspx

http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalSL...556-black.aspx

I see that you're in Ontario, and it looks like they have stores in several Ontario cities (Mississauga, Ottawa, Toronto):

http://www.vistek.ca/about/contact.aspx

IOW, from what I can see of prices, you may be able to buy a brand new XSi kit with a warranty for about what it would cost you to buy that used body and add a lens like the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens to it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:27 PM   #4

It looks that that way jim.

And for the added price of 100 dollars for the 50mm MK II 1.8 it would work about to about the same if shutterbug brought new and added the prime. Any will get all new.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Moved for you. I would get the kit lens as they are pretty cheap on eBay.

I won't advise on the prices as I'm not in the US so someone else can advise if you are getting a good deal.

Thanks for moving it

Jim C thanks for the links. At that price, you can't really go wrong can you. Their pricing is the lowest I've seen here in Canada outside of FutureShop. I had been looking at FS, Henry's and Best Buy but these guys beat them all hands down plus it's free shipping Yay!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:42 PM   #6

Well....here's a second question.....

I've been looking at more reviews along with different threads and I definitely think the 55-250 lens is something to invest in as well. My question is do I bundle this lens with the kit lens plus the 50mm 1.8 OR do I skip the 18-55 and get the 55-250 and the 50mm? OR....do I simply get all 3?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:57 PM   #7
Administrator

You're going to want something wider than a 50mm for many uses. Keep in mind that a camera like the XSi uses an APS-C size sensor (smaller than 35mm film). So, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for any given focal length compared to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera. Just multiply the focal length by 1.6x to see how they compare.

IOW, a 50mm lens would give you the same angle of view you'd have using an 80mm lens on a 35mm camera; and the 18-55mm kit lens would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using something like a 29-88mm lens on a 35 camera.

I'd get the kit lens as a first choice (otherwise, you may not be able to back up far enough to get what you want into the frame using the other two lenses you're considering in some conditions).

As for the 50mm and 55-250mm lenses, it depends on what you want to shoot more often. But, if you use the 18-55mm lens for a while, that would give you a better idea of what you may need later, after you determine where it's holding you back (and I don't think you get a price break on the other two lenses with a camera body anyway).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:11 PM   #8

Hi Shutterbug. I have the XSi and a 50mm f/1.4 and other lenses.

However, unless you have some very specific things to shoot I would not recommend the 50mm.

What is it good for - low light without a flash and for me along the baseline at a basketball court. But I have found that 50mm is too narrow in a typical living room or dining room during family get togethers.

Oh it works great for 1 or two people but if you want the whole groupd you need a large room to back up in. Then on the other hand when you are outside shooting the kids it will be frustrating because you can not zoom in or out as they change distances from you.

It sounds like your friend had the XSi and 50mm bundled which got you on that path. But if you are going to buy elsewhere (which seems to make sense) then the 50mm lens could probably wait and a kit lens or a step up like the Tamron 17-50 or something with a little more reach depending on what you want to shoot would be more useful.

It would be interesting to learn which way you go.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:46 PM   #9

I would get all three, and I actually have all three.

But you will want something wider then 50mm on a crop body. It will be to narrow for allot of things.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:35 PM   #10

Depends on your price range. I like the 24-105 F4 IS ($$)since they don't have a 2.8 in that range.
Sigma 10-20, 70-200 F2.8
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote