Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:24 AM   #1

Default Tamron 18-270...?

Sorry folks, still weighing up my options.... In light of the fact that I'm struggling to see my m4/3 options fulfilling all my photographic needs, I'm leaning back towards a smaller DSLR outfit, in particular a 500D (or 550D) as I am familiar and most comfortable with Canon having recently sold my 40D.

Can anyone pass comment on how good this Tamron 'mega-zoom' is in comparison to the Canon 18-135 or 18-200? I very much like the idea of the almost all-encompasing range, although it's probably still too short for some things (I had the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM) - but it would mean travelling with a 'holster' style case, rather than a backpack full of lenses, which is good!

I would however want to pair this with a fast prime - I had the nifty-fifty f/1.8 mkII before, but this was a touch long, so I'm also looking at the Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM or Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Which of these is the best?

I was always wary of using third-party glass, but in both cases, these lenses appear (on paper at least), to offer better value than similar Canon offerings. Should I be wary?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:14 PM   #2

If you want a one lens solution the tamron 18-270 form most reports is a very good lens. It may not perform as well as a 2 lens solution. But it not bad either.

Compare to the other 2 big zoom 18-125 and 18-200. There are about the same in their eq ranges. The advantage of the 18-270 is the added reach. Which makes it a better one lens solution.

The EF 70-300mm IS USM is a fast AF lens and have less distortion. Well worth keeping. If you shoot some action shots the 70-300mm IS USM would be a bit better lens then the megazooms, as it is faster.

I have the 28mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8. I use the 28mm allot more as it is more of a eye view on the crop body. And it is very fast in AF with the usm motor. The 50mm 1.8 is a price bargain. It is not the fastest AF and in low light lurking and hunts a bit trying to get an AF lock. But for the price, I have not been able to justifide upgrading to the ef 50mm 1.4 or the best 50mm on the market the sigma 50mm 1.4. Very expensive.

I have not tried the sigma 30mm, sorry. On the fast primes what are you going to use it for. The 50mm on the crop body is good for full body portraits, for face portraits the 85mm 1.8 is better because it gives you more stand off range.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:10 PM   #3

The Tamron 18-270 VC is probably one of the best superzoom lenses available, but compared to more conventional zoom lenses, none of the superzooms is very good.

See the PhotoZone.de test results for:

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 LD Asph. VC macro

The 'jack of all trades, master of none' lenses are convenient, but they compromise on image quality. The image will last longer than any convenience you might experience from having a single lens.

The Sigma 30/1.4 is sharper and has less chromatic aberration than the Canon 28/1.8 until about f/2.8, but also has has more vignetting. The Canon 35/2.0 is better than either of them, albeit slower.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:12 PM   #4

Good to know the Tamron is well worth serious consideration, and I'll need to look at the Canon 35mm f/2 prime in more detail too. Thanks guys!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:18 PM   #5

The ef 35mm F2 is not a bad lens, it has the build of the older ef 50mm 1,8 MK I and ef 28mm 2.8 which I recently traded in. And pretty much the same motor system. It is not a quite lens, and does not focus as fast but it is respectable. Here is a review about this lens. It is a good price point lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Stay away from that Tamron. At anything more than 150mm it's horrible.

Better with the Canon 18-200, or as I allude to in the other thread. MUCH MUCH MUCH better with two cheap zooms to cover the same range.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:04 AM   #7

I thought about buying this Tamron 18-270 too, but after reading all the comments form the experts here at Steve's, I'll go with the two-lens-solution 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS

It's not so heavy as the Tamron and the IQ is better!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:46 AM   #8

Mmm. Compromises again (well, I knew that would be the case)....
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:15 AM   #9

It is not as bad as I have read on steves, and I have seen the results. I know others that travel allot with a dslr. And the tamron gives them good results and the reach they want at 270mm.

Yes it is a compromise again. 2 lenses will be better, but it is not a bad choice for a 1 lens solution with a very good range.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:38 AM   #10

Cheers shoturtle - as ever, the proof is in the pudding..... I fully understand the compromises involved, but without trying one and seeing the results, I won't really know if it would suit me.

A few weekends ago, I popped into Edinburgh to try out the m4/3 stuff (E-P1 and GF1) and compare to what I was familiar with - Canon 40D + 17-85 + 70-300 + 50mm (now all sold). I also quickly tried a 500D with the Tamron 18-270 and it felt good - to be honest, I felt immediately "at home", with everything where I expected it to be.

My next purchase will be a compromise anyway - where I make that compromise, I've still not decided: Canon 550D + 18-270 + 28mm f/1.8 or Lumix GF1 + 14-45 + 20mm f/1.7...... gut feeling is that the DSLR will outperform (significantly) the GF1 particularly in low light, but the compact factor is a biggie.

Good to know in the real world, the 18-270 is worthy of consideration.