Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:18 PM   #1

Default Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS vs new Sigma 70-200 2.8 stabilized

Looking to buy 2.8 IS Lens 70-200 for my 5D MKII. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses? Would the Sigma image quality be about the same as the Canon. Wouldn't mind saving a few bucks but only if the image quality is the same. Build quality? Any opinions? Thanks.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

not much is known about the new sigma 70-200 with stabilization. it will have their new FLD or fluorite-type glass element which is suppose to be nice. but no one has had any experience with it yet.

the original non-stabilized sigma is a nice lens. good fast AF, and good optical quality, not quite up to the canon's though. we shall see if the FLD element and new design brings the sigma up in optical quality realm with the canon, my guess is the canon will still have the edge.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:31 PM   #3

Thanks. I looked up the Sigma press release and it looks interesting. I am leaning toward the Canon. It seems to hold it's value. No hurry just yet but want to make a decision mid-Springtime.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote