Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:17 AM   #1

Default Canon 28-135mm IS/rebel xt settings for indoor?

I have an awards ceremony in a large indoor cafeteria type room, flor. lights(auditoriun under constr.).

I have a Rebel XT with a canon 28-135mm IS lens. I was looking for some suggested settings. I am trying to not use a flash.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Mark2009; Mar 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:21 AM   #2

You'll need to use a flash. Preferably an external flash, but if you don't have one you'll have to get by using the built-in. But you'll need to be within 15 feet or so for it to be effective.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:35 AM   #3

The XT does not have a high enough ISO to allow of no flash indoors. Also with this lens at 3.5 at 28mm and at 5.6 at 135mm, this lens is not bright enough with the limited iso of the xt to be able to get good shots without a flash indoors.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:51 AM   #4

The room is very bright, you don't think at iso 1600 the lens could handle it?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:59 AM   #5

If you are zooming in, the 5.6 may not be bright enough even with 1600 iso to prevent blurring. To ensure you have enough light, a flash would be good. Is there any way you can test your camera in that room with the lighting before the award night. That way you can be sure if 1600iso will be enough with that lens.

If you do can not get 1/30 sec or better then the photo will most likely get camera shake and blurring. IS may allow you to go to 1/20 of a sec.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 9:18 AM   #6

I'll add that cafeteria lighting usually isn't very good, and if you want to try to not use flash, set a custom white balance with an 18% gray card or similar device. Cafeterias usually use Sodium Vapor lights which can play havoc with AUTO WB. (I use something like this: http://www.adorama.com/CPCEG.html

And if you use a flash, get a diffuser. The ceiling will be too high for bounced flash, and direct flash may be too harsh.

If at all possible, get to the venue a few days before the event to see what you'll be dealing with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #7

Thank you
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:26 AM   #8
NHL

You'll also need large depht of field (DOF) for large event...
-> So this will prevent the use of wide open apertures
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:31 PM   #9

I have done one award type ceremony shoot. Not sure how yours would compare but would think there is not going to be constant fast movement. I don't think a flash is a must. A few burst shots, at the right moment, as someone is being presented with the award worked for me. I also don't think a large DOF is necessary. The hint of the crowd in the bokeh of the shot with the subjects sharp is very effective. I tried to stay back a bit so DOF was increased without stopping down but it didn't take much and the OOF crowd actually worked well. Of course using a flash should increase your keeper rate.

Shoot RAW
Shoot AV Mode and start wide open.
Start with the highest ISO that you feel is workable. That is something you have to determine based on your intended use of the photos.
After doing that, if the shutter speed is not sufficient then you will have to use a flash or go up on ISO ( I was shooting 1/60 with monopod, timing shots and using 3 shot bursts) worked for me but might not for you.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote