Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:40 AM   #1

Default lens to get

well i just got my 7d,and now i did pick up the canon 70-200 2.8 non IS lens and now I'm wondering if i should take it back. and get the IS model. its a 600.00 + more. but i think it would be better for the long run...well any input would really help..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:42 AM   #2

Well with the IS, it will give you the added low light ability. And you can always turn it off for sport shooting.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

if the main purpose is for sports shooting, the lack of IS will not be a big problem, and the money saved could be used for other things.

if however, you plan to use it for low-light even type stuff (wedding-type venues) or even as a small tele for close wildlife, or just general tele stuff. the IS will come in very handy.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:55 AM   #4

da___ i knew you were going to say that tooooooooooooooo. i had it in my hand, but the salesmen was like"" well you do use a monopod right.. "" i said yes but not all the time. then he goes and say::"" well i always have mine turned off.."" so i think i will just go and get it tommorow..
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:59 AM   #5

I shoot allot at night, and do not always bring a tripod. So if I has a 2.8 lens, it would give me performance of a 1.8 with a lens IS. I sometimes I wished my primes had IS. So I can fore go the tripod, just shoot at 6400 at 1.8, the IS would allow me to hand hold at 1/20 a sec.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:14 PM   #6

I have a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 without IS and seem to use my IS lenses more.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:35 AM   #7

My opinion is the same as when you were deciding between the two.

IS can be used on a Monopod.
Second Mode of IS can be used on a Mono and Tripod for panning.
You will want every advantage you can get since you have the 7D body. With the 7D already requiring a bit more shutter speed to get the best pixel depth results from handheld shots, you will benefit from IS.

Sports shooting does not automatically mean No IS needed. Subject Movement + Unsteady Camera Movement = more chance for blur. Any fast, jerky, unsteady movement REMOVED on the camera end will be an advantage. This is especially true when you are already borderline on your shutter speed.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

It's a tough call, I got the IS version as I shoot weddings and other events. If I was only shooting sports and high speed shutter work then IS wouldn't be a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
Sports shooting does not automatically mean No IS needed. Subject Movement + Unsteady Camera Movement = more chance for blur. Any fast, jerky, unsteady movement REMOVED on the camera end will be an advantage. This is especially true when you are already borderline on your shutter speed.
For most sports where the goal is to freeze the action then IS isn't going to help at all as borderline to me would mean sub 1/400s. At these speeds you are getting subject blur due to the action of the sport, but not camera shake. Where IS can help in sports is if you are doing slow shutter panning (although I use a monopod and generally don't pan on a horizontal or vertical plane so IS is always off for me). So IS can be used in sports, but if sports is your main area then it is rare that you are going to get much use out of IS and the 600 can be put to much better use.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:11 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Forgot to add, the non-IS version of the 70-200mm f2.8 is a bit sharper than the IS version..... the 70-200mm f4 IS and non-IS are the other way around with the 70-200mm f4 IS being considerably sharper than the non-IS.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:18 PM   #10

Agree with Mark on the sharpness of the 2.8 non IS vs IS version. As for the IS comment that any blur you get at those shutter speeds is due to subject motion.... There is no logic in that. Surely your not suggesting that movement on the camera end has no bearing on the outcome. Any movement reduced or eliminated on the camera end that does not match pace with the subjects motion "IS" beneficial.

Personally I tried the 70-200 2.8 IS and was not impressed with it but so many speak highly of it so there must be something good about it.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 17, 2010 at 9:44 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote