Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:33 PM   #1

Default Renting wide angle for Rebel xt

I am traveling to Europe at the end of April and I was thinking about renting a wide angle lens for my trip. What do you recommend for a lens to use?

I will primarily be shooting landscape and buildings with emphasis on landscape.

Also, have anyone had good experience with a particular site to rent?
snowwave83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

one of the best super-wide angle lenses is Tokina's 11-16 2.8. but you will also need a regular zoom lens to go with it, as it is a very short range.

if you are looking for something wide that gives you better coverage, Canon's new 15-85 IS would be a good choice.

both are available through lensrentals.com
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:52 PM   #3

I just took a look at that site, thank you for the info.

I think I will go with the Canon 15-85 as it is more versatile, however I have heard really good things about the Tokina. My friend uses it and loves it, but for the conveince of not having to travel with many lenses (less chance of theft/loss) I am leaning towards the Canon.

I will be traveling to Ireland for a week with a few days in Norway and Prague, CZ so maybe the Tokina would be better for the low light you typically find in Ireland. Your thoughts on that last point?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i think the 15-85 is the better choice for the same reasons, it is very convenient and will cover all the necessary focal lengths for landscape/cityscape and general travel photos.

as for the low light issues. the 15-85's image stabilizer is a new version and is quite good. as long as you are shooting stationary objects, it should handle the low-light conditions just fine.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:09 PM   #5

Great, thanks for your insight ! I'll be sure to share my pictures when I return !