Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:26 PM   #1

Default 200mm f2 + 2x or 400mm f5.6

Hi everyone, first post here, joined a week or so ago and been reading a lot on this great forum!
I'm thinking of extending my focal range and as such would like to know you folks thoughts on the differences in iq between my 200mm f2 IS usm with a 2 x converter against a 400mm F5.6, mounted on my 5D mkii, apart from the obvious cost saving of the best part of a thousand pounds, would the image quality really suffer on such a quality 200mm lens with a converter?
looking forward to your replies.
Burnso....
burnsoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:35 PM   #2

The Canon 200mm f/2 lens an outstanding lens. If you're going to put a teleconverter on it, make it a good one.

Just to let you know, there aren't many good ones, especially good enough to do justice to the 200/2.0
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:51 PM   #3

Thanks TCav, was going to use the new canon x2 if i go down that route
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Depends on the shooting you do. If you mainly need the 400mm then the weight and cost savings of getting the f5.6 are worth it, however if you have use for the 200mm f2 for say indoor sports then I would be looking at that route...... I just don't know how much quality you will lose with the TC as no one here will have tried that combo as far as I know.

If you do get the 200mm f2 then I know a few of us would be pretty envious LOL.

What primarily is it you want to shoot?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:38 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i was under the impression the op already owned the 200mm 2.0
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I really should read and not skim..... OK, noted the OP is lucky and has the f2...... think we should ban him now for having such nice glass
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:53 PM   #7

In examples I have seen the 200 2.0 w/2x will fall below the 400 5.6 in quality. Stopped down to 5.6 it gets closer to the 400 5.6 but still not on par. The difference was enough that I would not choose the 200 2 with 2x over the 400 5.6 if the main use was at 400mm. Also if I had the 200 2, other than being really happy and money allowing, I would get the 400 5.6 over the 2X TC.

With the 1.4 TC though the 200 2 becomes a 2.8 and matches the 400 5.6. Almost no difference with both wide open. Stop it down to 3.2 and the 200 surpasses the 400 5.6 wide open.

Hope all that made sense. Keep in mind that Im not sure what version was used but these were Canon TC's.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Mar 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:27 AM   #8

Hello everyone! and thanks for all the fantastic and quick replies! what a very friendly forum this is!
Mark, I dont shoot any particular genre of photography, but like to have the ability to if i want, having said that, I do like to shoot birds and image quality for me is as important as i can afford :-) The 200 f2 sat on my newly aquired 5D mkii produces some stunning results, first time I looked at the photos on my computer i was literally blown away! had a 50D before hand and whilst its a good camera, the 5D is in another world.
I did have a 150-500 sigma for a while but was never quite happy with the IQ, having said that on a bright day, when they happen in England, at f8 when compared to a 100 400 that i borrowed, I honestly didn't think there was much in it.

Widowmaker, many thanks for your input and link, thats gone in my favs under v usefull, there is a marked degradation in IQ it seems with the x2, the 1.4 looks very good, but in the field I reckon 280mm just wont be long enough, so it looks like I'll be aiming at the 400 f5.6, oh the wife will be pleased, not..

Anyway thats enough from me, one day when your'e all sitting comfortably i'll tell the story of how I came to own the 200 f2 :-)
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsoid View Post
... Anyway thats enough from me, one day when your'e all sitting comfortably i'll tell the story of how I came to own the 200 f2 :-)
If it doesn't include the transfer of umpteen thousand quid, I don't want to hear it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:35 AM   #10

You know you could always rent a 2x and just see how it does for you as well.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote