Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:50 AM   #11

Okay, so I've done a lot of reading on the Tamron 70-300, which lead me to the Sigma 70-300 APO, which lead me to the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS. Now, the benefit of the Tamron/Sigma (which I can't seem to find an agreement on which is better) is the improved macro and slightly lower price, while the Canon includes IS.

What do you guys think between those three?

And on the landscape front, the samples I found of the 10-20 and 11-16 seem to be quite fantastic, but both are a bit out of my price range at the moment, at least if I'm looking at two lenses. I don't suppose there's anything else that would serve as a good landscape lens in the $250-$300? If not, of course, then I may just have to use the kit and save up for the future.
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:24 AM   #12

They are all inexpensive telephoto zooms.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Tested)
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro APO (Tested)
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF (Tested)

Optically, there isn't much that distinguishes them. The Tamron has the least vignetting; the canon the most. The Sigma has the least chromatic aberration. The Canon is sharper, but it's not as long. The Tamron and Sigma are 1:2 macro lenses, while the Canon is 1:3.2. The Canon is stabilized, but if you intend to use it for sports/action/wildlife, you'll need to keep the shutter speeds fast anyway, so stabilization won't matter much.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp87 View Post
Okay, so I've done a lot of reading on the Tamron 70-300, which lead me to the Sigma 70-300 APO, which lead me to the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS. Now, the benefit of the Tamron/Sigma (which I can't seem to find an agreement on which is better) is the improved macro and slightly lower price, while the Canon includes IS.

What do you guys think between those three?

And on the landscape front, the samples I found of the 10-20 and 11-16 seem to be quite fantastic, but both are a bit out of my price range at the moment, at least if I'm looking at two lenses. I don't suppose there's anything else that would serve as a good landscape lens in the $250-$300? If not, of course, then I may just have to use the kit and save up for the future.
@CJP87: I'm in the same boat you're in. I haven't used an SLR for over 15 years (Pentax KX50, I believe it was). I still have it, along with a Sigma 70-300 supermacro lens. It was great at the time, but it's not compatible with the Canon cameras So now I need to buy a new lens, but don't want to spend $1000+ per lens until (if) I become a good enough photographer to where my picture quality will warrant such large purchases.

I personally suggest for you to not spend a lot of money on lenses up front. If anything, I would suggest using the kit lens for your wide-angle and portrait shooting, and possibly buying a decent quality telephoto lens - the Canon 70-300 mm F/4-5.6 IS lens, or maybe the 250mm zoom if 9x zoom is enough for you. Only problem is, the 70-300mm IS is $550! I would even consider the non-IS version http://www.amazon.com/Canon-75-300mm...9352294&sr=8-4 because it's so cheap and, if you're shooting in the day, you'll have enough light to not worry about increasing the ISO or stopping it down to get non-blurry pictures. This way, you haven't spent a ridiculous amount of money on something you're not 100% sure about at this time. When you get the hang of it and know the types of pictures you like to shoot and what type of lens you can't live without, that's when you go out and upgrade. These lenses will last forever, so start cheap, maybe even look on Craig's list or eBay for gently used lenses at half-price...
MAK1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:22 AM   #14

since they are not for sports, the IS will help out on the long end. It will give you more keepers. If you want to check out the EF-s lenses with the IS on the long end, check out my thread

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...port-shot.html
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:36 AM   #15

cjp87,

The lens that MAK1981 linked to isn't nearly as good as the other lenses you're looking at, and it's almost the same price as the Tamron.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:37 AM   #16

MAK1981,

That Sigma 70-300 supermacro lens should work on a Pentax dSLR. That should save you some money.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:55 PM   #17

hello cjp87
if your a newbie then keep it simple. The kit lens is quite ok, i use it myself. If you need more zoom check out the 55-250 IS or if you have extra cash the 70-300IS. Stay with canon for now as the IS is really quite good. Once you get further into the hobby then go wider or prime or macro, whatever, but learn the artfoprm first. I also own the sigma 70-300 non is lens and it great with a tripod for macro but hand held you need a firm hard for those longer shots. Ebay has some good deals on some used lenses as well. The canon 70-200L lens is good too but no IS.
Good luck, dont stress on lens right now instead use your time to learn the camera and technique and all the manula settings well before you plunge into some costly lenses.
Cheers
Pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:14 AM   #18

So in the past 6 months I opted for the T2i. I have the 18-55 and 55-250 kit lens, and the nifty fifty. I have a 3-picture set that I'd really love to do HDR on (3 different exposures of the same picture). Is there any free software I can use to do this? Maybe even using the Canon software included with the camera? :-/

I also have my heart set on the Canon 17-55 F/2.8, which is ~$970 on amazon right now. I was going to combine that with an eventual Canon 70-200L F/4. Does anyone see a problem to this 2-lens set-up? (I'd still carry around my 50mm F/1.8).
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
MAK1981,

That Sigma 70-300 supermacro lens should work on a Pentax dSLR. That should save you some money.
You're right, it would have. But none of the Pentax models I was really impressed with :-/ I wasn't going to stick to a brand just to save $100 on a lens. I think I made the right decision. I sold all my old camera stuff to someone interested in starting photography for nearly nothing. Maybe I created a new photographer in the process :-D