Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:36 PM   #1

Default Lens recommendation for T2i (1-2 lenses for ~$500)

Okay, I'm going to blame my internet connection at work, but this is the third time I've tried to post this, gonna copy to clipboard just in case I get timed out again.

Anywho, I just bought a T2i with 18-55mm IS kit lens (in the mail from B&H), which will be my first DSLR. I would classify myself as an entry-level amateur as far as photograph goes, because the most advanced camera I've owned to this point is a point and shoot. But, I'm also a tech lover, and love learning new things, so I'm all for delving in deep quickly.

As far as what I'm wanting out of the lenses, I'm thinking one or two out of three options: wide angle for landscape, telephoto, or macro.

The wide angle would be for things like a trip to Ireland where I imagine I'll have a ton of sprawling scenery to capture. The lenses I've looked at are the EF 28mm f/2.8 and EF 24mm f/2.8 for ~$250 and ~$350 respectively. They seem to have good reviews.

Telephoto and macro uses I suppose are both pretty self explanatory (nothing specific, just the ability to use either function if needed). I feel like telephoto would be more practical, but I am absolutely fascinated by macro shots. However, I'm also not sure a worthy macro lens can be had for this price range while still allowing for a wide angle.

The telephotos I've looked at are the standard 55-250mm and 70-300mm Canons. I haven't the slightest clue where to start looking in the macros.

And of course, I'm totally open to anything you guys have to suggest as far as lenses, or even if I'm approaching this the wrong way and should maybe be looking for something else entirely (perhaps there's a wide angle that's also good for macro, or a macro that's good for telephoto?). Again, I'm a newie amatuer for sure, I just like jumping into the deep end without my floaties, so I appreciate any and all help you guys have to offer.
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp87 View Post
Okay, I'm going to blame my internet connection at work, but this is the third time I've tried to post this, gonna copy to clipboard just in case I get timed out again.

Anywho, I just bought a T2i with 18-55mm IS kit lens (in the mail from B&H), which will be my first DSLR. I would classify myself as an entry-level amateur as far as photograph goes, because the most advanced camera I've owned to this point is a point and shoot. But, I'm also a tech lover, and love learning new things, so I'm all for delving in deep quickly.

As far as what I'm wanting out of the lenses, I'm thinking one or two out of three options: wide angle for landscape, telephoto, or macro.

The wide angle would be for things like a trip to Ireland where I imagine I'll have a ton of sprawling scenery to capture. The lenses I've looked at are the EF 28mm f/2.8 and EF 24mm f/2.8 for ~$250 and ~$350 respectively. They seem to have good reviews.

Telephoto and macro uses I suppose are both pretty self explanatory (nothing specific, just the ability to use either function if needed). I feel like telephoto would be more practical, but I am absolutely fascinated by macro shots. However, I'm also not sure a worthy macro lens can be had for this price range while still allowing for a wide angle.

The telephotos I've looked at are the standard 55-250mm and 70-300mm Canons. I haven't the slightest clue where to start looking in the macros.

And of course, I'm totally open to anything you guys have to suggest as far as lenses, or even if I'm approaching this the wrong way and should maybe be looking for something else entirely (perhaps there's a wide angle that's also good for macro, or a macro that's good for telephoto?). Again, I'm a newie amatuer for sure, I just like jumping into the deep end without my floaties, so I appreciate any and all help you guys have to offer.
I am a n00b still, so, I don't know much yet, but, wouldn't your 18-55mm kit give you a wider angle than the 24mm or 28mm you are trying to purchase?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:49 PM   #3

It's a wider angle, but I assumed that the wide angle primes would be more specilized for landscape photograph, and the kit would be more of a general purpose type lens.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:53 PM   #4

For a telephoto/macro, you might consider the Tamron 70-300 Di LD (`$165.) It's better than anything else at twice the price, and it is a 1:2 macro lens to boot.

For wide angle, nepali is right. The lenses you're looking at aren't any wider than the kit lens you've got. What they do have are larger apertures, which isn't much of an advantage in good light.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 1:58 PM   #5

The lenses you mention as wide angle are not wide angles on the T2i. The kit lens with the 18-55 has a wider angle.

You need to multiply any lens focal length by 1.6. So the 18-55 is equal to a 28mm. If you are looking for wide angle, a tokina 10-20mm would be a wide angle lens.

I uses to the a EF28mm 2.8 which I replaced with a ef 28mm 1.8. It is a good focal length for shooting thing at eye view. 50mm is eye view. So the 28mm is close at 44mm. Als0 the 2.8 will give you added low light ability. At it is a wider aperture then the kit lens that is 3.5 at the near end and 5.6 on the far end.

The 70-300mm USM IS is a faster auto focus lens then the 55-250. Also you can do macro with the 70-300mm. But it is a larger and heavier lens. One is 250 dollars the other is 550 dollars.

If you want an inexpensive macro lens, the canon ef 50mm 2.5 macro is pretty good also. about 220.

Sigma has a decent macro also in the 50mm range. This is a true 1:1 macro lens.

What kind of things do you like to take macro shots of. If it is stationary and do not spook then a 50mm may do fine. But if it is something that can get spooked, you may need something that has a longer focal length.

There is also the plastic fantastic, the ef 50mm 1.8 MK II. It is the same build quality as the 28mm lens. But it is a full f stop brighter. For about 100 dollars.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:00 PM   #6

The tamron Tcav mention is a good entry level lens, just not that it does not have any IS feature. So on the long end of the zoom a very steady hand is needed.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:47 PM   #7

That tamron is definitely worth investigating, thanks for that recommendation. A macro telephoto is a bit confusing to me, seeing as macro suggest close and telephoto far, but that's just terminology.

As for the wide angles, would the kit lens be as good as a dedicated landscape-style lens for such shots? I know different lenses are good at different things, so I'm just curious as to what in this range would be good for big scenery, or am I better off sticking with the kit?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:54 PM   #8

It is actually pretty good for landscape, but if you really want a dedicated one, the tokina 10-20 would be an excellent choice.

Macro lens means it can do close focus. Long lens generally have more lens travel to allow for this to happen. Granted none of the telephoto zooms will do true 1:1 macro but if you are not shooting on a tripod, it is not that big an issue. But on the long end the tamron not having Image stabilization may be a draw back.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 4:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
...the tokina 10-20 ...
I fear there might be a slight misunderstanding of names which the OP might get confused with, shoturtle. You probably mean to write Sigma 10-20mm and not Tokina. The Tokina is 11-16mm to my knowledge.

I just testet it out the other day and posted some pictures in another tread here, called: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...ute-hdr-o.html

Be aware that this Tokina 11-16mm (if you mean that) is available in two apertures, one f/2,8 all the way, and another at f/ 4 - 5,6 I think (and also cheaper, naturally).

Other thn that, I have no spesial knowledge of "best" lenses - I leave that to TCav, he seems to be the expert.

:-)
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I fear there might be a slight misunderstanding of names which the OP might get confused with, shoturtle. You probably mean to write Sigma 10-20mm and not Tokina. The Tokina is 11-16mm to my knowledge.

I just testet it out the other day and posted some pictures in another tread here, called: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...ute-hdr-o.html

Be aware that this Tokina 11-16mm (if you mean that) is available in two apertures, one f/2,8 all the way, and another at f/ 4 - 5,6 I think (and also cheaper, naturally).

Other thn that, I have no spesial knowledge of "best" lenses - I leave that to TCav, he seems to be the expert.

:-)
Thanks walter, I was looking a a sigma lens on line, but wanted to suggest the tokina. You are correct 11-16 was the one I ment