Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:19 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default (Legacy Lens) 70-210 3.5-4.5 Examples

Had an impromptu visit to the zoo the other day with my gf and 2 kids she babysits. I would usually grab my big Sigma 80-400 OS for zoo visits, however the thought of carrying that around with a 3 year old in my other arm half of the time didn't sound appealing, so I grabbed my venerable old 70-210 3.5-4.5 (circa 1994, got it with my 630), now discontinued for some time, to see how it would work on the 50D.

Anyways, here are a few examples, not a real great test. I was shooting just in P mode when I had the chance to look away from the little kids for a minute or 2. But its a reasonable example of the results most people would get when shooting the zoo with their family. I will shoot some wide-open later when I can get out on my own and I will post them here.

Overall, the lens is a joy to shoot. The USM is very fast and accurate, and the lens is light and easy to carry.

For those unfamiliar with the lens, this is it:

and here are a few examples.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:52 PM   #2

Not bad for an older lens, good detail, pretty sharp
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Not bad for an older lens, good detail, pretty sharp
yea, its pretty sharp. it is definitely alot sharper than the old 75-300 IS lens, which i tried and returned years ago, but its not quite as sharp as the examples from the new 70-300 IS, which is quite excellent.

its a good used lens for the price if you can find one (they didn't make a ton of them). its a little faster than most modern consumer teles f3.5-4.5, and focuses really fast, it has a good USM motor in my opinion.

though alot of ppl will be turned off by the lack of IS.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:25 AM   #4

Nice to see. I picked one up off craigslist with a 50mm mk1. I thought about throwing this one on ebay since I have a couple other zooms, but while I was researching what info to put in the auction, I read so many good things, I just couldn't sell it. I haven't used it much yet, but will have to make it a priority.

Brew
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote