Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:14 PM   #11

If the numbers are cooked, why bother shredding the documents?[/QUOTE]

Enron, Aurthur Anderson.... need I say more on why they shred cooked numbers/books.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:22 AM   #12

If I were in this situation I would repair and try and sell to cover the cost of a 17-55 2.8 IS. Its optically superior, IS and more range. About $800 used, $1000 new. This is assuming you have a 1.6x crop factor body other than D30, D60 or 10D.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:59 AM   #13

Canon killed my party. They will not repair due to repair cost exceeds replacement. That's hard for me to believe.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Canon killed my party. They will not repair due to repair cost exceeds replacement. That's hard for me to believe.
and now u know why the owner threw it in the garbage

Enjoy opening the lens and seeing the parts inside. Or try any local lens repair guys who may wanna pay few dollars for parts re-use.

sorry to hear the news. But i was expecting it.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:51 AM   #15

Sorry to hear it. You could put it up on eBay, or watch eBay for another one in need of repair, and maybe have enough to built one good one out of two bad ones.

I drove into my mechanics property one day and saw what was clearly a totalled maroon BMW 5 series. The trunk was smashed and the roof was buckled, but the front end was in good shape. A little further on, I saw another totalled maroon BMW 5 series with the the front an driver's side wasted. Just outside his shop, I saw two other totalled maroon BMW 5 series sedans. When I asked him if he was going to use the four wrecks to make one good one, he just smiled. He now drives a perfect maroon BMW 5 series sedan, and all it cost him was his time and effort.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

I drove into my mechanics property one day and saw what was clearly a totalled maroon BMW 5 series. The trunk was smashed and the roof was buckled, but the front end was in good shape. A little further on, I saw another totalled maroon BMW 5 series with the the front an driver's side wasted. Just outside his shop, I saw two other totalled maroon BMW 5 series sedans. When I asked him if he was going to use the four wrecks to make one good one, he just smiled. He now drives a perfect maroon BMW 5 series sedan, and all it cost him was his time and effort.
Off Topic, but this guy sounds like a BMW mech I knew back in the day in the DC area, he had rebuilt at least one for his own use. Did real good work!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
Canon does set a cut off service date on lenses, after which they will not repair or service it. Not sure if this particular lens is on that list but it is a possibility since it was discontinued and replaced.

Might be worth posting in other forums and asking. There may be someone out there that can still do the repair or someone that needs the parts you have. I would not completely trash it.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 12:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by waoldrifleman View Post
Off Topic, but this guy sounds like a BMW mech I knew back in the day in the DC area, he had rebuilt at least one for his own use. Did real good work!
Mike? at Mt. Pleasant?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Mike? at Mt. Pleasant?
That is about where he was but it was not Mike (Randy M). but then, back in the day is many moons ago!

Last edited by waoldrifleman; Mar 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote