Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default "L" lens worth repairs or toss?

I posted in another forum, but no real replies......

Our company was cleaning house today and some one dumped a Canon 16-35/2.8 lens in the bin. As I cringed I did a little dumpster diving. Here is what I found.... The lens mount is broken off, torn ribbon cables are hanging out, front filter has a bad dent.Circuit board is missing

So here is what I tested. The zoom ring seems tight, but operational, the focus ring is very smooth, seems to focus when I look down the barrel and the front and rear elements do not have any scratches I can see. Is this lens worth repairing. What do you think a ballpark repair cost would be or is it better sell for parts
Attached Images

garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2

It is a 1500 dollar lens. Think canon offers free estimate for repairs. If it can be fix for 1/2 the price and if the optics are good, you will get a pretty good lens back if you choose to repair it.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It is a 1500 dollar lens. Think canon offers free estimate for repairs. If it can be fix for 1/2 the price and if the optics are good, you will get a pretty good lens back if you choose to repair it.

I'm hoping for a 500$ repair. I'll call them tomorrow
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4

They will need you to send it to them to see what the cost will be, I am pretty sure.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They will need you to send it to them to see what the cost will be, I am pretty sure.
That's not a problem. It's only a 20min drive for me. Actually I need to get my 135L for calibration
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:00 AM   #6

Good luck with it, hope it works out, and the cost ends up closer to what you want. You had a pretty nice fine if it works out nicely
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7

Is this the original or mkii ? If its the original and your looking to repair and sell to make a little profit go for it, if the repair cost is low. If your looking for a lens in that range for your own use, and can do without the 2.8, then I think the money is better spent on the 17-40 4 L . Slower but optically better. Sharper at corners and midframe. Stopped down to F4 the original 16-35 does not match the 17-40 across the frame. Continue to stop them down equally and the 17-40 keeps the advantage.

On the other hand if its the MKii I would repair if cost is reasonable and keep for my own use.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:55 PM   #8

If the optics are in good shape, and it sounds like they are, then the repair shouldn't cost too much. Good luck and keep us informed.

What else have they been throwing away?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If the optics are in good shape, and it sounds like they are, then the repair shouldn't cost too much. Good luck and keep us informed.

What else have they been throwing away?
It's in the shop now. I have to wait a few days to find out if it's serviceable. As for your question. I was in that bin longer than I should have been looking for more treasures. Like a 200/1.8, but nothing like that appeared. Just shredded documents with cooked numbers.

As for widow maker. It's the MK1 version. If it does get repaired, I'll think about selling my sigma 18-50/2.8 to cover the cost of repairs.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
... As for your question. I was in that bin longer than I should have been looking for more treasures. Like a 200/1.8, but nothing like that appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garman View Post
... Just shredded documents with cooked numbers.
If the numbers are cooked, why bother shredding the documents?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote