Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:48 PM   #11

Problem is I dont have the funds to buy 2 lenses at this point so I was trying to find one that would serve both purposes. I have the canon 70-300mm that I currently use for soccer. In cheer I have to shoot anywhere from 25-50ft from the center of the stage depending on the venue. And to answer Johns ? My camera body is 40D.

I dont know, just seems like the 70-200m would be my best bet for a single lens for both sports.

Last edited by Big Texx; Mar 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM.
Big Texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:54 PM   #12

Well, you are already familiar with the reach of the 300mm lens. 70-200 2.8 plus 1.4x TC will be a little shorter, BUT it's sharper. And it's faster to focus. So you'll see a rise in quality but not a HUGE rise. You're not going to get beautiful blurred backgrounds because you don't have the reach you need. So it will be better, and you'll have more in-focus shots because of the better speed.

Without doubt though, plan on getting the 1.4 right off the bat.

I do agree, you really don't have a better option (except maybe the sigma 120-300 2.8 but that's more expensive than many 2 lens solutions).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:06 PM   #13

JohnG,

Question will a 2x tc from canon still AF with the 70-200mm 2.8? Just curious
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:10 PM   #14

It will autofocus but the quality isn't worth it. Also really starts to hit focus performance. 2xTC not a good solution for sports work.

From people I've spoken to - 2x are best used with quality primes usually for birding shots - like adding one on the 300mm 2.8. You're going to stop down to f8 anyway and for static shots the af hit isn't that big. And while I don't shoot the canon 300 2.8 I understand it does better than the 70-200 with a 2x but still not recommended. I really don't know of anyone that uses 2x TCs for sports use.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:13 PM   #15

I was just wondering as the reviews I read said it does not degrade IQ at all compare to the 1.4. Which was kinda a surprise. I thought a long TC would affect IQ more then a shorter one. But thanks for you input.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:25 PM   #16

Thanks John, So let me throw this out: If we take daytime soccer and football out of the mix and focus on night soccer, football and indoor cheer, what would be my best option in the $1200-$1700 range for a lens
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:39 PM   #17

Nighttime soccer and football:

You need f2.8
You need ISO 3200-6400 if not using flash
Prefer adding flash for football especially - mounted OFF camera on a monopod.

But you need a flash with good recycle time and preferably external battery pack (like the 580exII). The 430 is slow to recycle and doesn't take an external battery pack.

Here's my suggestion:
Sigma 70-200 2.8 ($800)
Canon 580 exII ($585)
Canon off-shoe cord ($70)
Manfrotto 175f clamp ($55)
Canon cp-e4 battery pack ($150)
Manfrotto 679b monopod ($50)

Total = $1710. Then add re-chargable batteries for the flash and battery pack.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:48 PM   #18

Ok, I have a while until the night football starts up. So would I better off with the canon 70-200m now and the rest in the fall? Also, will my 40d go up to ISO 6400, I thought 3200 was max for 40D. What other options would I have for indoor cheer where I am 25-50ft from the center of the stage? I want to make sure I am making the right choice overall. I guess what I am trying to decide is do I get a lens that will be ok for most of my needs or one that would be great for one and not the other?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:09 PM   #19

No - your 40d will only do 3200. Whether you need 6400 depends on the stadium. Some places, 3200 will be OK. Other places not. That's where the flash comes into play. Use the flash and you don't have to worry about it.

Now - I'm a huge proponent of finding sports shooters who have relavant experience. I haven't seen anyone here at Steve's that does competitive cheer. I don't either. So I can't provide a lot of advice. If it were MY money - I'd go where there are some people. You might want to check over at Fred Miranda's sports corner - LOTS of top notch shooters over there. I'm sure some of them do competitive cheer. But a word of caution - before you take someone's advice there, here or anywhere (sounds like a dr suess book?!) - look at their history and try and find their photos. If they don't have any - that's a huge red flag. Lots of people with opinions - most don't really shoot sports and lots do it poorly. So take a look there and see if you can find one that shoots competitive cheer. Find out if you can use a flash or not. If not, what is their recommendation.

The reality is - if nighttime football and soccer is a must you'll still need f2.8 for the focus ability. So the next step up the food chain from the 70-200 is the Sigma 120-300 or sigma 300 2.8 prime. So you're kind of stuck. If it were just daytime you'd have some options (like the sigma 100-300 f4 or canon 100-400).