Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:01 PM   #1

Default 70-200m with or without IS?

I'm going to be purchasing the 70-200m 2.8 USM (IS?) canon glass within the week. I need to know how important the IS would be for me. The majority of the shooting I will do with the lens is sports (soccer, football, cheer comps, etc)

Obviously if I can save a few hundred then that would be great. However, if the Is capability is important then I will rethink my buying strategy.

Thanks as always for your comments and help.

BT
Big Texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:12 PM   #2

Most sport shooter will tell you, to turn the IS off for your sport shots. If sports is the only thing you are shooting with it, you can save that money. But if you plan on using it for other things. IS on the long end can help out, especially in low light. Also with the IS option, when you do not need it, you can always turn it off for sports.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2010 at 9:50 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:58 PM   #3

For shooting sports, you need fast shutter speeds to prevent motion blur due to subject movement. Those same fast shutter speeds will also prevent motion blur due to camera shake, so stabilization isn't really necessary. It can help, however, when panning with slower shutter speeds, for shooting motorsports and the like.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:22 PM   #4

Yep, don't bother to waste the money on IS if the majority of the shooting is sports. Be aware though that 200mm is awfully short for soccer. You get about a 25 yard range with the lens. I realize everyone has a budget but you need to go in with proper expectations. It can be short for football but at least there you can follow the line of scrimmage along the sidelines so football is alot easier to shoot with only 200mm than soccer. With soccer you just have to be extremely patient and accept the fact 80% of the action will be too far away to shoot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

As sports seem key to you, I would be tempted to look at the Sigma 100-300mm f4 which will give the reach in soccer and to say it is a sharp lens is an understatement. The only limit might be there cheering, I'm British so not sure if this is indoors or out where f2.8 could help. There is always a trade off when it comes to reach/money/brightness. The Sigma 100-300mm f4 will also take the 1.4x TC very nicely giving you 140-420mm f5.6 if you need the extra reach. Data shows that this combo is up there with the Canon 100-400 lens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:22 AM   #6

Marks analysis is good - the monkey wrench is the cheer. Which is usually indoors. I don't shoot cheer, but you'll definitely need 2.8. You'll also need 2.8 if the soccer or football is at night. Gonna be tough no matter what to do well shooting all 3 with a single lens though.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 8:44 AM   #7

I shoot an equal amount of soccer and cheer, and yes the cheer is indoors thus the 2.8. John you mentioned the lack of range with the 70-200 for soccer, would the 1.4 ext give me enough range or would I be better off with the 2x. Also, what can I expect in terms of extended range with an extender 1.4x or 2x?

Thanks guys.
Big Texx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:19 AM   #8

Generally, even good 2X teleconverters have a visible impact on image quality, plus they add two f-stops to the maximum aperture of a lens, requiring longer shutter speeds. A 2X TC on a 70-200/2.8 would make a 140-400/5.6. That's f/5.6 even at 140mm. That could hurt.

Good 1.4X TCs have a less detrimental effect on image quality, and only add 1 f-stop. That would make a 70-200/2.8 a 100-280/4.0 which would be better, but still not great for soccer.

You really can't compromise for indoor activities; what matters is how much of a compromise you're willing to make for the outdoor activities.

Last edited by TCav; Mar 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:55 AM   #9

I think the 1.4x TC is the best you're going to be able to do. The alternative is to buy multiple lenses. But you probably still want the 70-200 2.8 for cheer - ASSUMING, by the way you're using a T1i or higher camera. You'll very likely need ISO 3200 at 2.8 for cheer. I don't know what body you have but if it doesn't have decent 3200 then cheer could be a little more problematic.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:34 AM   #10

Here's a thought. It seems to me that Cheer is more of a group activity. You probably won't use the 200mm end very often, and sometimes the 70mm end might not be wide enough. Perhaps Sigma's 50-150/2.8 or Tokina's 50-135/2.8 would work out better, and a longer telephoto zoom lens would work out better for the soccer and football. Since the activities you want to shoot really don't require stabilization, you wouldn't be losing anything, and you'd be gaining lenses that are more appropriate for what you want to do.