Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:41 PM   #1

Default lens choice help

Well it didnt take long to realize that my Canon kit lens will just not be quite useful in ALL situations, hence my desire to buy a telephoto zoom lens. Since I am extremely new (yet borderline addicted) to photography, i thought i'd ask for some advice.
I realize that most people invest in lenses vs bodies since those are useful much longer. With that said i am debating if i should opt for the

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
or the
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

I know the diff between EF-S and EF and also the focal range but I am wondering if the price diff is worth it for the first one. I have read reviews of both lenses and they hardly seem to suggest anything bad about them (at least for a hobby photographer like myself) but would like to hear opinions here.
My subjects are typically my little girl and whatever trips my trigger finger on hiking trips, sport events for little nephews etc
any opinion/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
thx
ronin2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:56 PM   #2

If you can are find with the added cost, the ef 70-300mm is the better lens in every way. It is faster, quiter, longer reach and higher build quality. It is quite a bit heavier the the 250.

But if you do not want to spend 550 dollars, the ef-s is a very good lens. Optically it is no slouch. It is quite sharp. But it is a steal at 250 dollar for a IS lens. I have both lenses and optically they are very close.

With you kids running around the fast focusing of the 300 may be a plus. But both will do a nice job. But is is not as easy to travel with if you are packing the kids with you.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:02 PM   #3

the reason i am debating this is simply that i dont want to find myself 6 months from now wishing i would have skipped the 55-250 for something better. I intend to keep these lenses as long as they are working and since i have bought into the canon family i see it more of as an investment than a "throw-away" expense.
also not sure how much diff ef-s vs ef makes for the future.
adorama.com has both lenses refurbished for $200 and $480 respectively
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:06 PM   #4

The EF is better built, metal mount vs plastic, but I have a 16 year old ef 50mm 1.8 that has a plastic mount and it works find still. But if you are in it for the long haul. The 70-300 will be a better lens. If you kids get more active, the fast focusing will coming in handy.

I use the 70-300mm more the the 55-250 when I am home. But the 55-250 is my travel zoom as it is lighter and packs easier.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:08 PM   #5

the weight is not an issue for me. danke fuer die hilfe
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:09 PM   #6

bitte
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:10 PM   #7

See Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (Tested)
and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Tested)

The 55-250 has a lot of vignetting which will show up when shooting sports/action/wildlife. Also, the 70-300 focuses faster, which also affects sports/action/wildlife shooting. Since you say you want to shoot sports, I'd say the extra money would be well spent.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:11 PM   #8

TCav i have read those, thx. I just wanted to hear some more first hand experiences and opinions in a few forums.
Seems like I would be able to better grow into the 70 one.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:36 PM   #9

It would be better suited for what you want to do now.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:23 PM   #10

Just a side note, Adorama will be close for passover till april 6, if you place a order it will not be process till the 6th. If if you are in the NYC area you do not want to waste a trip down to the store until next week.