Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:00 PM   #1

Default Need the extra 6mm?

I might be getting a silver 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 USM lens for my 300d. Would it make sense to keep the 18-55mm one that came with the camera? I see one about to sell for over $165 on ebay. The new lens would be quite cheap if I got it as a replacement instead of an addition. How much would that 6mm matter?

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 4:48 PM   #2

24 x 1.6 = 38.4mm equivalent
18 x 1.6 = 28.8mm equivalent

In my book the difference between the two is massive. If you have experience with 35mm film cameras and have used a 28mm lens and a 35mm lens you might note the difference here is more. The question is whether you are going to shoot wide angles or if you can always step back farther. Today I put up a Christmas tree in a small living room and can barely shoot the whole thing with 28mm equivalent. Do you mind giving up that capability?

Just a fact: All 18-55 EF-S lenses were bought for $100 by people buying 300D's. The only people in the market for the lens are those who passed it up at $100 or broke theirs. The statistic that one would sell for $165 used suggests that more people regret not buying it than regret having it.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2003, 5:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsmit
24 x 1.6 = 38.4mm equivalent
18 x 1.6 = 28.8mm equivalent

In my book the difference between the two is massive. If you have experience with 35mm film cameras and have used a 28mm lens and a 35mm lens you might note the difference here is more. The question is whether you are going to shoot wide angles or if you can always step back farther. Today I put up a Christmas tree in a small living room and can barely shoot the whole thing with 28mm equivalent. Do you mind giving up that capability?
Thanks. I think I decided to keep it for a backup and to have something to go with the camera if I ever sell it. I'll probably not use it that much but having it would be better than not. I might see how some of those stich programs work out. That would be easier than bying a super wide lens I'll also stop by one the way home from work to see what kind of used equipment is available. Although if I have something wider than 18mm I'll probably be tempted once again to get rid of the kit lens

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote