Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:11 AM   #11

I would go with the 70-200 2.8 and here's why:

you need 200mm or more if you're not on the floor. By your post it sounds like you won't have access to the floor for tournaments.

If you have to sell the f4 to buy a new lens, no way will 135mm be good enough for soccer.

You can add a 1.4x TC for soccer down the road.
Also, in a couple years when your gymnasts are more advanced, there will be a new generation of camera bodies. You may very well be updating. I would expect decent ISO 6400 performance out of the next generation of canon bodies.

for the reasons mentioned above I think the sigma 50-150 is also too short for either sport. You'll need the extra 50mm.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:26 AM   #12

Also consider with the 50-150, you can crop in PP and still get good resolution at the long end as the canon body has more mp to work with. And it would save some weight, if that is a concern for now.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:29 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Also consider with the 50-150, you can crop in PP and still get good resolution at the long end as the canon body has more mp to work with. And it would save some weight, if that is a concern for now.
Sorry to say that's totally not the way to go, with any lens you want to be filling 2/3 of it for quality when shooting sports, getting further away and cropping, especially in lower light environments will really hurt. Extra MPs and cropping is no substitute for longer glass.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:33 AM   #14

I agree, but if weight is also a concern. We should factor that into the equalization. There is allot of what if here. And planning for the future is nice. But what if his daughter decides the gymnastic is not for her anymore. Then the longer range 70-200mm 2.8 many not be as needed. Just something the that the OP pointed to in his post with the size and weight of the 70-200 2.8.

Soccer is generally play outdoors in daylight. I not sure but I believe the 1.4 will work on the 70-200 f4, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:35 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Soccer is generally play outdoors in daylight. I not sure but I believe the 1.4 will work on the 70-200 f4, please correct me if I am wrong.
Yep, sure will work taking it to f5.6, but the f4 non IS isn't the sharpest lens so I'm not sure how it likes the TC.... I've not seen any reviews so would need someone else to chip in on that.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:39 AM   #16

Agree with Mark. more mp does not necessarily help. What you run into in sports shooting is focus issues. When the subject fills up a small portion of the frame and there are distracting elements in foreground or background the focus won't be on. So when you crop you just won't have the good detail. What more MP does is allow you to crop those tightly framed shots even more.

Additionally cropping iso 3200 and 6400 photos is a dicey proposition. ESPECIALLY with little girls who already have a bit of the 'doll skin' look. When you crop heavily that brings out the noise. Remove the noise and the little detail there is in the girls disappers entirely.

That's the difference between theory and practical knowledge. The 50-150 is a bad choice. It's too short for now, certainly too short for the future. What good does a light lens do you if it can't capture the photos you want?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:41 AM   #17

Also consider since the 1.4 tc will be an investment later on for soccer. There may be a better lens the the 70-200 2.8l USM IS down the line. The 70-200 2.8l USM IS II may drop in price couple years down the road. So if you do not need it right now. You may get something better down the road.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:43 AM   #18

Also on the f4 and TC - that makes it an f5.6 lens. Not really great for sports shooting. First because of the greater DOF. That's bad.

Also, just because a sport is outdoors don't assume good light. I often use ISO 800 at f2.8 for 'day' games. The world isn't always a bright, sunny place.

It might have been an option IF the OP didn't also need a solution for gymnastics. The 85 is too short and the f4 is too slow. Buying a TC won't help the OP for gymnastics.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:43 AM   #19

My question for the OP is, how short is the current 85mm when shooting the gymnastic. A sample shot would help allot in determine the best range for a lens currently.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Also on the f4 and TC - that makes it an f5.6 lens. Not really great for sports shooting. First because of the greater DOF. That's bad.

Also, just because a sport is outdoors don't assume good light. I often use ISO 800 at f2.8 for 'day' games. The world isn't always a bright, sunny place.

It might have been an option IF the OP didn't also need a solution for gymnastics. The 85 is too short and the f4 is too slow. Buying a TC won't help the OP for gymnastics.
The 70-200 2.8 is a planned event, just that the op was not sure he want to jump on it yet. So the TC will before that event. But until then, it seems the 70-200 f4 is doing the job for soccer currently.

And the 85 is short, but we do not know how short without a sample.