Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 6, 2010, 2:38 PM   #11

If you get good service from a local camera store, support then or they may not be around the next time you need good service.

For $50, get the kit lens.

The Canon 70-300 IS USM is $50 cheaper than the Canon 18-200. That should pay for the kit lens, and would do a better job for you anyway.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
All you lenses will be ship to canon in cali or newport news for service. As they carry a 1 year warranty. So service is not as big an issue as you may think. Also the canon factory service centers do excellent work over the local camera places.
Service, as in, walk into a store, handle the cameras and lenses before you buy, talk to knowledgeable salespeople. That kind of thing is rare and deserves our support. As nice as the people at B&H and Adorama are, a nice person that's only a stone's throw away is better.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:46 PM   #13

That is advice which the OP mention. I only commented on service, which I consider work done to the equipment.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That is advice which the OP mention. I only commented on service, which I consider work done to the equipment.
Understood on the parts/equip service required....I was thinking more along the personal service and advice type thing like TCav when I was talking about purchasing local.
jj4osu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 4:44 PM   #15

My local store will try to match the big mail order shops, the kicker for me is I have to pay Sales Tax (9%). But lately I have been dealing locally. It is nice to fondle the equipment and know I can run back and gripe.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 7:15 PM   #16

OK, so looks like from the suggestions on here, our best bet is to go with:

1) T1i w/ Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens $750 B&H
2) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens $550 B&H

This will get us out the door at ~ 1300 plus any other extras we pick up.

Given our wants/needs, is it a good be we'll be satisfied here. Should we really consider an upgraded camera? T2i, 50D, 7D? or a lesser model? XSi?

Given our priorities of speed of shot, quality, ease of use, cost, etc, it seems that the T1i is the sweet spot, but certainly open to other ideas...if we'll be very happy with a few hundred less spent that would be cool...if we need to really consider dropping 2k+, well not as cool, but rather do that than drop 1500 and hate it and want to upgrade in a year.

Then to the lenses...looking at the base + stock lens. Should we look at different lenses for that spot?
A few I saw:
a) Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens $450
- a bit longer zoom, adds USM, worth an added 350?
b) Canon EF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens $450
- really extends the zoom on the base, no USM, might be able to skip the 2nd lens for now and go with a 100-300 down the road??
c) Canon EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens $720
- Wow, would add $600...the cost of a 2nd lens, worth it??

Any other options for a 1st lens? 3rd party that might be as good, better, cheaper, etc.

How about that 70-300...from all accounts that seems to be a very nice lens and a good choice for a 2nd lens...don't seem to be any comparable options without going to 1000 or so???

Thanks everybody for all the info so far!! Has been greatly helpful...otherwise I'd already own the T1i with a 18-200 lens and probably be not too pleased. Any more advice we can get would be greatly appreciated.
jj4osu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 7:53 PM   #17

The T1i is a excellent camera, unless you are shooting allot of sports, then the 50D or 7D. The T2i big thing is HD video, if that is not a major concern. I would pass on the more expensive body. The T2i has more video options, and better audio for HD because you can add a external mic.

I have only used the HD video option like 2 times since I got my T1i, both were for testing the feature out only.

On the photographic side, there is really no real difference between the photo IQ between the T2i or the T1i. So if video is not to large of a concern, and sport shooting is not that important. I would save the money and get the T1i, and also add the ef 50mm MK II. It will make a great portrait lens, and give the T1i great low light ability even more ability. Save the money on the body and use the saving on lenses, the count more for quality photo then the body.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:08 PM   #18

The gear you've got picked out looks like a good combination for what you want to do. Since you'll be shooting mostly outdoors in good light, you could probably get away with the XSi and save a few bucks, but you'll lose the higher ISO settings that are useful for low light shooting, you'll lose the video recording, and you'll get a 12MP image sensor instead of the 15MP sensor in the T1i. Since most of your images will be ont he web, that last one is not much of a disadvantage.

The 18-55 kit lens is pretty good and a bargain. Of the other lenses you mentioned, the only one that would be better is the 15-85, but that's a lot more money, and it's not clear from what you've posted here that you have a need for it.

And, yes, the 70-300 IS USM is a good choice for what you want to do. There are less expensive choices that aren't nearly as good, and there are better choices that cost a lot more. I think, for what you want to do, the 70-300 IS USM is juuust riiight.
Old May 6, 2010, 8:10 PM   #19
Super Moderator

I would start with the kit you outlined initially.

the T1i with the kit lens, plus the 70-300 4-5.6 IS.

If you are finding the kit lens (18-55) is not focusing fast enough for you, or you are missing shorter shots, then you may consider an upgrade.

But I think the kit lens will be fine though, I have a feeling you will be using the 70-300 for more action shots, and the 18-55 will be used more for the horse portraits, where it will do just great.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 1:46 AM   #20

That sounds like a pretty good set up, and from my personal experience with all the 18-55. It is a bit short to shoot action. And I really use the 70-300mm IS USM for my action shot. If I need closer action, I turn to my 28-135 IS USM.