Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 7, 2010, 10:02 AM   #21

Another suggestion has been posed to me...

Rather than the 70-300mm IS USM, to go with the EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM (no IS).

While this lens should definitely be better for an experienced pro, would it be suitable for us?? Just wondering how much we'd lose by not having the IS...would we lose all the benefits of the L lens...OR, are we going to need to be shooting at high enough speeds to make the IS not beneficial anyway?

Tough to find out all these things BEFORE you use them, but hate to drop 600+ on a lens only to find out a different similarly priced option would have been a better bet for us, and end up spending 1200 for 2 lenses when I could have spent the 1200 to get a REALLY nice lens with IS, USM....not that I am wanting to spend 1200 on a lens....
jj4osu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 10:28 AM   #22

The 70-200/4.0 is an excellent lens, but it's not long enough to shoot from the stands. IS makes some things easier, but wouldn't play much of a part for what you want to do. You'll be shooting action outdoors, so you'll have plenty of good light, so you will naturally be using shutter speeds fast enough to prevent motion blur due to subject movement, and that will also prevent motion blur due to camera shake. For the 70-300, IS is a little more important since the longer focal length will more readily show camera shake, but again, you'll probably be using faster shutter speeds anyway.

The 70-200/4.0 is nice for obtaining shallow depths of field, bluring the backgrounds, but as I said, it won't be long enough for shooting from the stands.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 12:19 PM   #23

Huge help guys, thanks!

Just about ready to buy..one last query:

1) T1i, 18-55 kit lens, 70-300mm IS USM lens ==> $1300
2) 50D kit w/ 28-135 lens & same 70-300mm lens ===> $1700

In the long run will we be happier with the 50d? What would it really add for us? 6fps in burst v. 3fps...might help, but how about if not in continuous, is AF response quicker? How about potential low light arenas? Most shooting will be outside, but maybe cloudy days...horses seem more prone to "fun" shots when its cool/cloudy v. bright and sunny.

OR are we a lot better off going with the T1i, I know my wife would certainly prefer its weight, and maybe after we get the hang of things with a DSLR in a couple yrs look at adding a 7D or another FF DSL with some really nice lenses.

Sorry to be so anal...I tend to try to overanalyze up front looking at EVERY possible option.

Also, now I've got some telling me to go with the 55-250 IS lens as the 2nd lens in a kit for the T2I...$$1000??? Don't think we need the T2i, but changing to the 55-250 lens would save ~300 bucks and in the t2i kit offered, its almost the same price as adding it to the 1 lens t1i kit.....TOO MANY OPTIONS!! need to just put a stick in the ground and choose, lol.

Last edited by jj4osu; May 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:39 PM   #24

you may want the faster lens of the ef 70-300mm IS USM. I do get more out of focus shots with the ef-s 55-250.

The kit lens 28-135mm of the 50D is not a very wide angle. So at times you may not be able to back up enough. It is a good lens, but not great for group shots, or close quarters.
Old May 7, 2010, 8:30 PM   #25

If your wife likes the T1i, why would you consider anything else? How miserable are you prepared to be?

The T1i is a fine camera for what you want to do. The 50D is better, but not that you'd notice for a while.

The 55-250 IS is nice, but it's not fast enough for sports/action. The 70-300 IS USM is fast enough. (That's what the 'USM' means.)

And for shooting on overcast days, there's still plenty of light. In fact, I prefer overcast days; there are no harsh shadows.

For shooting indoors, yes, the 70-300 won't do well, but neither will the 55-250 or the 70-200/4.0 you mentioned. For that, you'll need something with a maximum aperture of at least f/2.8. And you'll still need a long focal length.

The 28-135 is a nice lens, but it's not your typical general purpose lens. The 18-55 will get you started, and if you need something longer later, then so be it. But the 18-55 is a very good, very uselful lens for only $50! Why pass that up?
Old May 9, 2010, 10:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If your wife likes the T1i, why would you consider anything else? How miserable are you prepared to be?
Well, now the worm has turned....

~50% of my decision process has been based on the wife telling me she didn't want a "beg, heavy" camera and definitely not one heavier than the old Olympus....hence the drifting towards the T1i and similar models initially. WELL, I'd had her try the T1i compared to a Nikon and Sony, but didn't even think to check others. We're at Best Buy this afternoon and I think, lets just have her check out the 50D and compare while we are here. Lo and behold, she likes it better?!?! Even though it is decidedly bigger and heavier, she thinks the balance feels much better and will be easier to use...I KNOW for me it feels better, but was going to give in to her needs much as TCav pointed out above.

Didn't let her try the 7D, too afraid she might like an even bigger version and don't think I want to jump ANOTHER 600.

So, looks like we are going with the 50D unless I hear something that makes that a really bad choice, like it would be too big a first step into the realm of DSLR and we might get worse results with it.

But, this really causes a reval on the lens choices, as the stock lenses are different.

Looks like the kits I can get locally are:
1) 50D body only $1000
2) w/ EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM $1200
3) w/ EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens $1500
4) w/ both the above lenses $1700

Additional options found online---so probably could get the same deal locally assuming the have the lenses in stock
5) w/ EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM $1270 B&H
This was B&H stock #CAE50D1785 but very strange, seems the exact same thing listed again as a "kit" with a stock #CAE50D1785K which goes for $1360, and Adorama has it at 1350...don't know if there is something added in with the second version that I'm missing, just a fu at BH or what gives here...
6) w/ EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS $1500 Adorama
7) w/ EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS $1600 Amazon (Ships from ACE Photo Digital ??)

I'm sure there are other packaged combos out there if I kept searching, but thats plenty.

SO, assuming we go with the 50D, and the rest of the needs stay in place, what is my best lens bet?? One of these pkg, just the body and pick out a dif lens set, etc...

Based on playing a little with the 50D and the 28-135 lens that was on it at BB, it seems that lens would be good for probably 70% of what we need, assuming it was a quality lens..so could probably get by with that until we really figured out what we needed, but maybe other options are better.

Thanks for all the help so far....we'll get there soon!!
Old May 9, 2010, 11:01 PM   #27

I have the ef 28-135 and the ef 70-300, Both are really good lens, but that will leave you really tight for landscape and group shots with 28mm.

The ef-s 18-135mm is a better walk around lens, and it have better IQ then the 18-200. And the 18-135 will give you a decent wide angle with the crop body but is is not a fast focusing lens like the 28-135 USM. The 17-85mm is not as good as the lens that replaced it 15-85mm.

But here is one thing that she need to consider, holding the camera in the store is one thing, but walking around with it all day the weight builds a bit.

50D does not have video ability, the the 60D is going to come out pretty soon also. As canon has a 250 instant rebate on the 50D currently.

PS

My wife loved to shoot with my Eos 1, but after a couple of hours carrying it around. It was a bit of an effort. That is why we opted for the T1i over the 50D last year.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 6:14 AM   #28

The 50D is nice, and ergonomics is important, but you'd be giving up the 15MP image sensor and the ability to record video.

Changing the body doesn't affect anything that was said about lenses. The Canon 70-300 IS USM is still the best choice, and the 18-55 is still a great lens for the money. The other lenses you mentioned either aren't as good or cost a lot more without being much better. If you really want something better, there's the Canon 15-85. But that was true for the T1i as well.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 50D is nice, and ergonomics is important, but you'd be giving up the 15MP image sensor and the ability to record video.

Changing the body doesn't affect anything that was said about lenses. The Canon 70-300 IS USM is still the best choice, and the 18-55 is still a great lens for the money. The other lenses you mentioned either aren't as good or cost a lot more without being much better. If you really want something better, there's the Canon 15-85. But that was true for the T1i as well.
50D is 15mp as well isn't it?

So the 70-30 for $1500 + adding the 18-55 for +150 or so is probably the best option here?? despite the rebates with the other packages with the 50d making the other lenses cheaper here than with the t1i? And thats IF I can find a seperate 18-55...don't think I can here, probably have to order it, as all the 18-55's they had were gone in kits for the ti1, t2i, xs, etc.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old May 10, 2010, 8:24 AM   #30

50D and the T1i shear pretty much the same sensor. So you do get a 15mp sensor.

That would still be the best starter package. Giving you a wide angle at 18 and a very good outdoor zoom for actiion. If you go with the 50D, it is worth ordering the 18-55, it will be a more useful lens then the 28-135 if you require a wide angle.

Actually there is a 200 rebate on the T1i also.