Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 6, 2010, 1:27 PM   #1

Default Help with lens for T1i

We are planning to purchase a Canon T1i and are needing advice on lenses.

The primary (90%+) purpose of the camera will be photographing our horses. Some at home in pasture, occaisional posed, but mostly moving distances from 10' to 250'+, for use on our website or for sale ads. Other times we'll be at shows, taking pics from the stands, as far as 300', rarely closer than 50' unless posed.
Probably 75% of our photos will be of moving horses.

The base lens that comes with the camera simply won't zoom out far enough, so we are considering other alternatives. Also, adding a 55-250 lens to the top end of the base lens isn't all that attractive, because in the pasture its too hard to control where the horse is, and if he is in a nice position 15' away I need to be able to snap the shot...a 55-250 wouldn't be able to get them in the frame at that distance, and simply not time to change lenses or move my butt.

So, we are considering a couple lenses that are broader range:
1) Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Auto Focus
2) Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Autofocus

Both are ~600. Is there any significant quality diference between the two? Assuming I can get a horse in the frame at 10' on the 18mm, how far for the 28mm? Also, how much distance is gained by going from 200mm to 300mm? Is there anything that combines the distances, so there isn't a tradeoff on one end or the other? oh yeh, and doesn't kill the pocketbook...

Also, I've read that for pics of moving objects, that the motion control isn't needed because the shutter speed will be set high enough that the motion control is not being utilized. Is this true?? At all distances? If so, are there lenses without the motion control that might give ust the range we are looking for at a lower price or same price with higher quality?

Looking for any other suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Jeff
jj4osu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2010, 1:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

you will want something that autofocuses faster than those lenses. they are non-usm and will have difficulty keeping up. not only that, they are superzooms, which are a compromise in image quality to gain the large range.

i really think you should use a 2 lens situation, as much as you hate to. and then add the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM for its fast autofocus.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:03 PM   #3

I agree with Hards80 that the lenses you mentioned aren't very good, but if all you'll ever do(!) is post reduced versions of the images on your website, then they will probably be ok. And horses in a paddock or show ring don't move very quickly (rarely galloping) and even when they do, they're moving across your field of view, so AF speed isn't much of an issue either. The Canon 70-300 IS USM that Hards80 mentioned would be a big improvement over either of the lenses you mentioned, when shooting from the stands, but if all you'll ever do(!) is post reduced versions of the images on your website, plus the occasional horse portrait under ideal conditions, then Tamron 28-300 VC would be ok.

But the T1i is much better than either of those lenses, so if all you'll ever do(!) is post reduced versions of the images on your website, then outdoors in good light, the Canon XSi could do as well and will save you some money.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:18 PM   #4

See my

Kelly & Siri

and

Dr. Cesar Parra Dressage Clinic, Sept. 15-16 at Chimney Hill Farm
Old May 6, 2010, 2:22 PM   #5

I am with the 2 lens set up also, better image quality. But if you were considering a 1 lens that covers your needs. You may also want to serious consider the tamron 18-270mm over the 28-300. You may find 28mm on the short end to tight. Not the best for group shots.
Old May 6, 2010, 2:57 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice!!

Any estimates on the distance needed to get an entire horse in the frame at 70mm? 25'??

Assuming we go with a 2 lens (or more) setup, and go with the 70-300m...is the best close range option the lens that would come with the camera?? At only a $50 bump from body only, that is an attractive option, but seems pretty cheap....so would we be better off with the body only and another lense combo??

Cost is unfortunately a consideration...

We are going from a ~5yr old canon (don't remember the model off the top of my head) that was a bit of a compromise at the time when I wanted a DSLR and my wife wanted EASY....welll it turns out nice photos occaisionally, but it is always so dang slow to take a shot that we always miss the moment....can't really just do click/click/click with it either, even in continuos mode its like 1frame/1.5sec. So thats why the upgrade. After testing a few cameras at a local shop, T1i seems to have the best combinaiton of quality pics, speed, feel, etc in a reasonable (for us) price range....compared it to the XSi, T2i, Nikon D5000, D3000 & , Sony alpha 500 and thought it was the best bet. Has way more features (video??) than we need in a camera, and probably much higher mp than we really need...but lesser cameras were just noticably slower without saving much $$.

All that to say that I'm guessing even the lower quality lenses would probably seem an upgrade to us...but why spend $600+ on a lens we'd be unhappy with a year from now...when we first got the old camera we thought it was great, no film, yipee!!

So, speed being a concern, sounds definitely like the 70-300 mentioned has a faster autofocus and would work better for us.
Old May 6, 2010, 3:14 PM   #7

I have the 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS USM, it is a very good lens. Very sharp, pretty fast with the USM, and will do a decent job on daylight action shots. I also have the ef-s 55-250 4-5.6. It does not focus as fast, and I get a bit more out of focus shots if I am shooting in burst mode.

The first shot is the ef 70-300 at 300mm, the second is the ef-s 55-250 at 250mm.
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2010, 3:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4osu View Post
Any estimates on the distance needed to get an entire horse in the frame at 70mm? 25'??
Presuming that a horse is 10 feet from nose to tail, and a 70mm focal length lens on a Canon dSLR with an APS-C size image sensor, ~32 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4osu View Post
Assuming we go with a 2 lens (or more) setup, and go with the 70-300m...is the best close range option the lens that would come with the camera?? At only a $50 bump from body only, that is an attractive option, but seems pretty cheap....so would we be better off with the body only and another lense combo??

Cost is unfortunately a consideration...
Where are you getting your prices?
Old May 6, 2010, 3:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Where are you getting your prices?
Local store on the camera: 700 body only, 750 with 18-55 IS lens kit.

The lenses I first mentioned prices were from B&H...what I have local on them is ~+50 over B&H on the lenses.

Also debating whether to buy local or order. Normally I opt for online to save a few bucks, but local service/advice isn't a bad deal for us in this.
Old May 6, 2010, 3:32 PM   #10

All you lenses will be ship to canon in cali or newport news for service. As they carry a 1 year warranty. So service is not as big an issue as you may think. Also the canon factory service centers do excellent work over the local camera places.