Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 14, 2010, 4:58 PM   #21

It cheap, does a nice job. I have one as a back up to my 50 1.4 now. If you wanted to add indoor low light shooting to you needs, it a good option with at a great value. And it will also give you a very nice shallow dof for shooting portraits. It is a great price for a good prime lens. It is a bit soft till about 4-4.5 then it start sharpening up nicely. So you can have the soft focus effect for head shots. and stuff like that.

Last edited by shoturtle; May 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 6:31 PM   #22

Default Canon 18-135 or other "all in one"?

Hi everybody, greetings from Brazil!

I really need a help. I bought a Canon T1i ( I am very happy with it) and also a Canon 55-250 as a complement to the kit lens (18-55). I travel a lot with students and I was thinking of buying a "all in one"not to having the changing lenses question during the trip.
What lenses do you suggest? I am looking at amazon and some reciews and I got absolutely mixed up...I read a very good review about the Tamron 18-270 ...Does anyone have experience with it?
Thanks for the help
czilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 8:15 PM   #23

You need to understant that the two lenses you have will give you better photos than any "jack of all trades and master of none" lens will. They usually have more distortion at the wide end, more chromatic aberration at the long end, and are softer throughout their zoom range. Take a look at theses:

The lenses you've got:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Tested)

The lenses you might consider:
Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (Tested)
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (Tested)
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM (Tested)
Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 10:28 PM   #24

I would go with the tamron 18-270, it is one of the best all in one lenses out there. If I were to go with a all in one, it would be my pick. The add reach helps out on the long end too, vs the canon 18-200. 200mm may be a bit short if you are uses to the reach of the 55-250mm.

But when not traveling the 2 lenses you have does a better job. I travel allot a know the convenience that a all and one lens provided. Al most brought the 18-270 couple of time for traveling, but went with a travel camera instead.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:31 AM   #25

Thanks...do you really think it is a waste of money to spend these $ 600 for the Tamron 18-270 just for having a "all in one"?...I am trying to convince myself...Thanks TCav !
czilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 8:12 AM   #26

As shoturtle pointed out, if you'd like something smaller to take with you when you travel, get a smaller camera. The Tamron 18-270 only weighs 40g less than the Canon 18-55 and the 55-250 combined, so you don't save much there, and the image quality from the Canon lenses beats what you'll get with the Tamron.

If the convenience of having a single lens do everything is worth it to you, then go for it. But the images will last a lot longer than the convenience.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:56 PM   #27

I went with a travel camera, an olympus EPL-1 and added a panasonic 45-200mm for 240 used. It packs really small, and gives me a reach form 14-200mm or 28-400 with the two lenses. And together the epl1 and 2 lens packs smaller the my t1i with just the 55-250.

But that is a larger investment about 800 vs 600 for the tamron. Hard decision. My family travels way to much, so the smaller set up was more important for us. Changing lenses really do not bother me. With the tamron, you do not have to change lens. Which is a plus when running around with kids.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:39 PM   #28

Me too i'm planning on a T2i.
Nobody mentioned it, but i've been looking at this lens:

Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Seems good for landscapes and portrait shots and has some positive reviews.
Thoughts from the experts?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 10:45 PM   #29

If you get the body alone, and this lens separately it makes sense. Adding it with the kit 18-55 is really just gaining you a small amount of range, that is about it.
Old May 15, 2010, 10:45 PM   #30

That's an excellent lens except for the vignetting. And the maximum aperture is not really big enough for portraits with out-of-focus backgrounds.