Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 18, 2010, 4:51 PM   #1

Default Need Help chosing a lens for sports events

Hi Everyone!

So I recently got a Cannon T1i, and am loving it. I wanted to play around with the lens that came with it, as this is my first SLR camera, but I am ready to get a new lens.

I need your help! My son is very active and on alot of sports teams. I am looking for a great lens with a good zoom, so I can catch those football and baseball shots from a distance, as we can not get to close to the field.

Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks!!!
SportsMom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2010, 4:53 PM   #2

day games or night games or both?
Old May 18, 2010, 4:56 PM   #3

This gets expensive real fast. How old is your son and are the games during the day or at night. There are a couple of Pros here that give you GREAT advice.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 4:57 PM   #4

Mark and John will chime in here and give you advice that is proven in action.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 4:57 PM   #5

not just expensive, VERY VERY Expensive if at night.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:40 PM   #6

Something that goes out to about 300mm should work. A 300mm lens will cover the infield from the box seats at even minor league baseball parks. For shooting High School Football from the stands, 300mm should be ok too, but for college, you'll need something longer.

For daytime games, the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (~$550) is a good choice, but for night games, you'll need something faster like the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG APO IF HSM (~$3,000), or, considering your T1i performs well at higher ISO settings, you might be able to get away with a Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM (~$1,100.) If you need to shoot night games, I suggest you rent lenses to see what works for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:43 PM   #7

The aperture is the size of the lens opening. The larger the aperture (opening), the more light goes in, the smaller the F number you see (F-stop). Therefore, for night games, you will require an aperture around f/2.8 or larger. For day games, you can go with a lens with a smaller F-Stop, around f/3.5, f/4.0, or smaller. Unfortunately, a long lens with a large F-stop can get expensive. As stated, you can probably get away with an F/4 or smaller. If not, your shots may not come in clear.
ecub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 8:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMom21 View Post
I am looking for a great lens with a good zoom, so I can catch those football and baseball shots from a distance, as we can not get to close to the field.
As others have mentioned we need more information to give you a good answer. What level of play (HS varsity, HS freshman, 8 year old) - and day vs. night.

For example, if your son is HS Baseball, if you can't shoot from the field itself you'll need 500mm to shoot from behind the fence and get good shots.

If your son is 6 years old then a 200mm-300mm lens will work from the seats.

Also, let us know if it's other sports or just football/baseball.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote