Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 21, 2010, 3:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

The 85mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens for sports. I'm assuming that's what you got. As mentioned the 1.2 isn't as good because of the design of the focus on it.

My 85mm 1.8 is faster to focus than my 70-200 2.8L.

Now, having said that - the challenge with the 85mm 1.8 / 500d combination is with framing and distance. The 85mm lens is god for about 25 feet of distance and that's it. So you can't cover the full court and get quality results. On the flip side, on an aps-c camera, 85mm is awfully tight. Combine that with the 25 foot limitation and you end up with VERY tight framing and a lot of shots with partial body framing. So that takes getting used to. Framing is much easier with an APS-H or full frame sensor. But everything has it's pros and cons.

JohnG,

Thanks for the pointers. Fortunately, for the instances when I will use the 85mm f1.8 for indoor sports, I will be able to move around all over the court. I hope this means framing will be less of a challenge.

I suppose if I am quite a distance, with the sharpness of the lens, I can shoot then crop to get the emphasis I need.

Gary
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 5:24 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-beginner View Post

I suppose if I am quite a distance, with the sharpness of the lens, I can shoot then crop to get the emphasis I need.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Sorry to say that the 25' max is a lens focus/sharpness limitation. Yes you can shoot further away and crop but you won't get results you are happy with. It's a common reason for soft photos with people trying to stretch how far they can shoot.

I'm on my phone so can't get the link but if you look at the sports section there is a stick thread at the top with info on lens working distances.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 11:13 AM   #13

Mark is dead on.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010, 4:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi Gary,

Sorry to say that the 25' max is a lens focus/sharpness limitation. Yes you can shoot further away and crop but you won't get results you are happy with. It's a common reason for soft photos with people trying to stretch how far they can shoot.

I'm on my phone so can't get the link but if you look at the sports section there is a stick thread at the top with info on lens working distances.

Mark,

Went to the sports section and read through the thread. Very useful info.

Also, I read in the thread you recommend the 85mm for basketball and volleyball, taking the photos from the corners. This is very helpful because this is the kind of situation I expect I will be using the 85mm on.

Gary
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote