Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:06 AM   #11

It is all about compromises, with m4/3 which I really like, it does not perform as well as FF in low light or image quality. They are very good, but a 5D has better image quality.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:53 AM   #12

I was a Nikon guy last year, and I'm Canon now, and here are a couple of observations/opinions:

1) the 1.6 crop factor of Canon cameras is annoying when you want a WIDE lens
2) Sigma lenses, which I love, tend to sell for considerably less if they are Nikon mount (2nd hand market)
3) Nikon/Sigma include hoods + bags with their lenses

As for Nikkor vs Canon quality, it's horses for courses, and we shouldn't exclude other manufacturers; the best lenses I've ever used have all been Sigmas.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:59 AM   #13
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Don't like Sigma - the quality control is iffy
Well the Sigma EX series have the longest warranty in the business i.e. 5 years longer than any L in the US (and even longer in some other countries) which one can always send back for adjustment if there's any iffyness

Quote:
... and the colours are very yellow. Yuck.
and I thought everyone shoot RAW theses days
(Actually this is very subjective as I always tend to add a B&W KR1.5/3 on my lenses in the film days and this filter now comes for free with the Sigma's)

-> Some of my best and favorite lenses are Sigma and I wouldn't trade them for anything !!!

Quote:
Olympus of course make some wonderful lenses, if only they made some great cameras to match.
Again some people have no use for high-ISO, and 'noise' can be a good thing... (i.e. save the add-noise step in Photoshop to make resulting prints more 'film' like for expo)

For sure though your camera gears will be much lighter with Oly which is perfect for any frequent travelers... especially if this person is shooting in the longer telephoto ranges.
-> Imagine a 500 or 600mm f/2.8 without a tripod or gimbal, an impossibility with either Nikon or Canon !!!

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/h...-maximize.html

Last edited by NHL; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:39 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:05 AM   #14

I am with NHL here.. I even had the E-520 and Bigma for few months before i reduced my gears.

My next set of cameras and lenses would be the Olympus series. Mainly for reaching the IS enabled 600mm F2.8 with ease.

I can sell my 500 and still get the 300mm f2.8 along with a 2x converter. can save more in the used market may be.

I will miss the 500 for sure.. cant beat the 800mm i get out of the 500 with a 1.6x crop, nor can the olympus beat the 1120mm i get just by adding the 1.4x converter or even better 1600mm with a 2x converter.

But the weight gain get out of the 600mm F2.8 or 1200mm F5.6 with a 2x tele on the olympus is enoromous and my baggage shrinks by huge volume

an alternative is to think about the 90-250 and sell both 70-200 and 500m. Now i gain not only by weight but also save some money for a better Olympus camera

Thats my long term goal for wildlife pictures

Only limitation is that i dont think i will have only Olympus in my set up. I can never jump from canon for my beloved 85mm f1.2 and ever trusting 70-200 F2.8 IS, MP-65E for fun and the 90mm TS-E for craziness

Last edited by nymphetamine; Jun 11, 2010 at 4:19 AM.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:37 AM   #15
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
Only limitation is that i dont think i will have only Olympus in my set up. I can never jump from canon for my beloved 85mm f1.2 and ever trusting 70-200 F2.8 IS, MP-65E for fun and the 90mm TS-E for craziness
I'm not suggesting jumping ship by any means
... and Oly bodies (especially the E30) are inexpensive enough that one can add to the collection, and I never like to part with my lenses (or flashes) anyway: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...sh-fetish.html

Like it has been mentioned before, there's a gem in every line, plus each time one use a piece of gear from a different manufacturer, there's a philosophy behind each individual camera's design one can learn to appreciate... Very much like an acquire taste with some fine wines which may vary with the foods one is enjoying with (similar to camera gears destined for different uses... sport, landscape, studio or travels).

Last edited by NHL; Jun 11, 2010 at 5:41 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:01 AM   #16

Default nikon vs canon lenses

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I've entered the DSLR world in August 2007 and have been hooked by its possibilites ever since. I've used Canon 400D, 500D, Nikon D90 and now Canon 7D (I kept selling my entire gear each year, including lenses tripods flash camra bags etc, and buy a new one ... living in the middle east give a lot of opportunity to find buyers for second hand DLSR gear) ... I've also used lens made by Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron & Tokina ... my current gear is Canon 7D with Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-40 L, 24-105 L, 100-400L & Sigma 150 Macro. With the little experiance that I have and ahving used serveal cameras/lenses, I believe that there is no such thing as a bad camera/lens (unless you genuienly get a factory defect copy) .. I think a camera/lens is only limited by the limitations of the person standing behind it. Anyway, I do not want to argue which is better but would like to list out all the lenses made by Canon & Nikon with info gathered from their respective official websites for anyone who is interested in looking at "who's got what" at a glance. If this goes down well with the forum members I'll add Sigma, Tamron & Tokina in the list. I do not claim to have got all the info correctly, so if you see any typos/erros/mistakes go ahead and changes them.

PS. There seems to be some kind of a problem with uploading word tables & images on this post so I've provided hyperlinks for the list as images Image 1 & Image 2 ... if the adminsitrator can post it in its original format (word tables) then I will send it via email for others to edit.
PS again: Special thanks to JimC for being very accommodating and making it possible to upload this docuemnt ... the lens list is editable for anyone who'd like to correct it or add to it.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Canon & Nikon Lens Line Up.docx (23.9 KB, 637 views)

Last edited by rienz; Jun 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM. Reason: Able to upload the wod document
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 8:15 AM   #17

Rienz,
an impressive undertaking. But I might suggest you save yourself some time and just post a link to the page on official sites that lists lenses. That way you don't have to type out everything someone else already typed. Also, for example: many people may not be interested in only full frame lenses. Some people actually want APS-C designed lenses or don't want to make a distinction as they have no plans to go full frame so they wish to consider all lenses from the manufacturer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:54 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
There seems to be some kind of a problem with uploading word tables & images on this post so I've provided hyperlinks for the list as images Image 1 & Image 2 ... if the adminsitrator can post it in its original format (word tables) then I will send it via email for others to edit.
It may have been the file sizes. I had .doc files limited to 19.5KB (the forum defaults). But, I just modified the parameters so that file sizes up to 253.9KB (260,000 bytes) are allowed.

If you want to attach a .doc file to a post here, just use the (Paper Clip) icon you'll see when editing in Advanced Mode and you can browse for a file and attach it. It's not going to display in a post that way, but members can click on the attachment and download it.

Note that you can also use that same Paper Clip icon to upload an image to the forums (and an image will display in posts). Make sure to remove the http:// that's already in the box that pops up if your link already includes that part (otherwise, the link will end up with http:// in it twice and won't work).

But, the longest side will need to be no larger than 1024 pixels to prevent the forums from resizing it. The file size will also need to be no larger than 253.9KB (or the forums will resize/recompress it).

If you use IMG tags around link to an image (versus uploading it to our servers), then the forums software will not modify an image (since it's only displaying it from the host server).

Basically, just put [img] in front of a link, and [/img] after a link you paste into your post text (versus using the paper clip icon to upload one to our servers). Then, use the Preview Post button to see how they would look after you submit a post. See some examples of using BBCode to include an image here (the first example shows using [img] in front of a link, and [/img] after a link):

http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10

But, note that we still prefer it if the longest dimension is no larger than 1024 pixels and the file size isn't too large (since many users don't have higher resolution displays, and a number of our members don't have high speed internet either).

As JohnG mentioned, another approach is just to give the links to the manufacturer pages for lenses:

Nikon Lenses (and lenses that are not marked DX will work on models with full frame sensors):

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...ses/index.page

Canon Lenses (and if you click on a category, you'll also see a drop down list showing all lenses), and lenses not marked as EF-S will also work on models with APS-H or Full Frame Sensors:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=148
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Rienz,
an impressive undertaking. But I might suggest you save yourself some time and just post a link to the page on official sites that lists lenses. That way you don't have to type out everything someone else already typed. Also, for example: many people may not be interested in only full frame lenses. Some people actually want APS-C designed lenses or don't want to make a distinction as they have no plans to go full frame so they wish to consider all lenses from the manufacturer.
Dear JohG,
Thank your for your reply. I understand your point about providing the link to the offical manufacturers site, but the reason I listed them together in one page was to be able to quickly look at 'who's got what' in one place rather than going to different sites and hunt/compare etc ... my explanation may not be that clear as I'm new to the blogging business, you folks are very experianced and savvy.
Regarding APS-C lenses, if you see the 2nd page I had also listed the APS-C designed lenses.
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:46 PM   #20
Administrator

Another observation is that it gets more complicated than your table design allows for with some Nikon cameras.

A number of newer Nikon dSLR models (D40, D40x, D60, D3000 and D5000) do not have focus motors built into the camera body. So, only AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing Motor) lenses will Autofocus on them (and that's not shown in those tables, since it's showing Canon lenses with a column to note if an equivalent Nikon lens exists). That means you can't use a number of Nikon Autofocus lenses with them if you want Autofocus (you don't get Autofocus with some Nikon dSLR models without an AF-S lens now).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote